Photo by Melody

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: bromeliads for novices and addicts, sep, 2012, 2 by ianperry

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright ianperry

In reply to: bromeliads for novices and addicts, sep, 2012

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

Back to postNext photo >>>
Photo of bromeliads for novices and addicts, sep, 2012
ianperry wrote:
Hi all, Another beautiful spring day, a bit of mist this morning and then it cleared to an overcast day, but the temperasture is fantastic.
Nev to answer your intrigue, I always use 1" mesh for scaling of plant size. I have seen professional brom growers show catalog pictures of plants and then later admit that it is hard to know what size that plant is. This is my possible solution to this problem.
Sue, Yes I have a few more plants, some rough and ready and some nice to very nice. Thanks for the compliment.
Trish, Vr splendens can produce pups anywhere, and they are awkward to remove. The brown patch above the pups is where I just took off a pup after 9 months of gentle separation from the parent. Alacantareas often need this method as well. The gentle removal generally allows for less parent damage. I have the pup potted in a 4" pot of Quincan gravel (scoria). This is the third pup I have taken in 18 months. As the plant is getting older the pups are getting lower.
Some more pics for you all
Pic1 Neoglaziova zebrina
Pic 2 Neo Treasure hunt
Pic3 Noid suspect it is a mimi ananas if there is such a plant
Pic4 Ananas tricolour flower
Pic5 Ananas lucidus flower
Have a good one
Ian