Photo by Melody

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: bromeliads for novices and addicts, sep, 2012, 1 by perke_patch

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright perke_patch

In reply to: bromeliads for novices and addicts, sep, 2012

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of bromeliads for novices and addicts, sep, 2012
perke_patch wrote:
Hi everyone. lots of reading to do tonight to catch up. was too tired last night and knew we had to get up early this morning for a trip to the markets to collect an order. up at 6am and out the door around 6.20. even the dog refused to leave his bed that early so we had to go and leave him inside. We were home again around 7:30 or 7.45 and he was still in bed. he has a headcold at present as do I so neither of us is sleeping too good at night. After such an early morning I won't be far out of bed tonight. so tired right now.

Nev I think we've been to see your lizard. That looks like one we saw at Normanton when we went up to the gulf last year.

Ian I love your black orlandiana and picaninny sounds lovely too. Please keep me in mind when you get spare pups. We have orlandiana rainbow and snowflake, ensign (albo) and reverse ensign (variegated). At present the aechmea garden is so full of ripening seed pods that we now have seeds down from rainbow, snowflake and we have 4 flower spikes from aechmea bert with nearly every pod full of seed. If anyone wants to try some of these let me know and I will harvest the seed for you. Nev your rainbow and snowflake seeds are on the way with a pup of hula girl.

shirley I love your vrisea from Bunnings. that's a lovely colour. I think I've seen similar at bunnings at some stage but didn't get one without a name. If we see something spectacular we buy without ID but didn't go WOW with these as we have similar.
Colleen love your vrisea pic too. lovely pair there. and so glad your back is getting better too. take care of your back as it is hard to live with a bad back.

setting up our seedling area we have taken the old plastic covered shelves out into the yard and scrubbed the plastic to allow more light in. Having them emptied gave us the opportunity to sort out our trays of seed. Boy we have a 4 shelf unit full of trays of vrisea seed. Can't believe we have so many. I haven't finished setting the area up yet so still sorting out the trays. I have identified a few trays that just don't seem to be growing so I'll take the opportunity to bin those. Nev I have taken some pics of seedlings for you but haven't uploaded the pics from the camera yet. will leave that for tomorrow night as I am ready for a shower now and early night.

Take care everyone and enjoy spring sunshine. Night for now.
Wendy
Pic is a tillandsia fasiculata minor "nidus"