Photo by Melody
Announcements
The ability to post new threads and comments is currently off-line. We are working to restore this feature.

Central Midwest Gardening: July 2012-Plants shriveling up already, 1 by shortleaf

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright shortleaf

In reply to: July 2012-Plants shriveling up already

Forum: Central Midwest Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of July 2012-Plants shriveling up already
shortleaf wrote:
Hiya Crit, welcome back, it has been awhile! Hope you get to feeling better. Yeah, it has been real hot and dry here too, man 110, that would be very uncomfortable. That's definitely not a very encouraging weather forecast there!

I drove to small-town Kansas today to get yet another big load of rocks and I took a short video clip of a brief rainstorm on I-35 coming back to Sugar Creek (Kansas City). I took a photo of where the precious rocks come from! Of course, I got back here and it hadn't rained a drop! We put out our soaker hoses today. Here's that video clip I made, it's only 20 seconds long. - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1JGBerobVs&feature=youtu.be It looks like I'm just racing down the highway, actually, I had the cruise control set on about 59 mph! Hehe.. I drive slower than everybody! How about the blue sky and raining like the dickens?! That was about 50 miles Southwest of Kansas City.

Here is something that gave me an idea of what to put around the ac unit here, it's at McDonalds in Kansas City North. - They are Arborvitae Thuja Occidentalis 'Emerald', they are just so snow and ice damage prone! But, I would take good care of them in the Winter, I'd cover them up or something. I'd for sure prune them into a cool shape though, kinda like triangles with about the top fourth cut straight across.
They don't grow like exact triangles, more like missiles but a little fatter at the bottom. Here they are at Arborday - http://www.arborday.org/treeguide/treeDetail.cfm?id=216 I'd probably just get the little ones from HomeDepot or Lowes for about $6 apiece I think.

This message was edited Jul 29, 2012 9:34 PM