Clematis: Prime time chat, 1 by venu209

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright venu209

In reply to: Prime time chat

Forum: Clematis

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Prime time chat
venu209 wrote:
I take pruning groups into consideration when planting a clem with a shrub. For instance, I would put a group 3 clem with a hydrangea because I don't prune a hydrangea during it's blooming season and generally don't prune group 3s during the growing season, unless they get ratty looking. The group 3 clem gets cut back in late winter before the shrub has leafed out, so I can yank the old vines off the shrub easily. I will put group 2 clems with rose shrubs since I'm deadheading and lightly pruning roses all season. If the clem gets lightly pruned at the same time, it's a good thing. I don't like group 1s with shrubs. I have one with a viburnum of good size and the clem still overwhelms the viburnum. I have to move that one. They're all planted about 6 to 8 inches from the base of the shrub. This is one that was planted between the shrub and the house, not enough sun, but I love the combo, so I'll move the clem to the front of the shrub so it has a southern exposure without shade from the house.