Photo by Melody

Tropical Fruits: Please Recommend Fruiting Banana for z8 So. Central AL!, 3 by Vinesnmore

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Vinesnmore

In reply to: Please Recommend Fruiting Banana for z8 So. Central AL!

Forum: Tropical Fruits

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Please Recommend Fruiting Banana for z8 So. Central AL!
Vinesnmore wrote:
Here is a photo of my Raja Puri bloom it's up even more today but my camera broke (both regular and on my cell LOL guess I'm not supposed to take pictures!) I also believe that my Praying Hands is getting ready to send a bloom up as it has a paddle leaf now. I have newly acquired Manzano, Dwarf Puerto Rican, Golden Aromatic, Ice Cream, and SH3640 as well now but those are in pots until I decide where to put them. I have a small nursery just outside of Gainesville! I find it really hard to keep bananas in pots around as people want those first, but I dig even bigger ones for the same price and those transplant well too. I am thinking that soon my Praying Hands, FHIA-21, Orinoco and Dwarf Brazilian should be fruiting as well as maybe Pitogo! Rjogden you are welcome to come out to my place and see mine and see how well they really can do in our area anytime! I am actually colder than you are in Gainesville as I am on the outskirts! I think the big mistake alot of people make is cutting bananas to the ground when only the leaves are hit by the frost, therefore they lose their pseudostem which is really what needs to live to make the fruit. Even if the pseudostems get hit I only trim the part that is completely mush and no more so I just take a little bit off at a time! I'm including some photos of my bananas!