Grass and Bamboo: free Bamboo containment, 4 by shortleaf

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright shortleaf

In reply to: free Bamboo containment

Forum: Grass and Bamboo

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of free Bamboo containment
shortleaf wrote:
Thanks meadow for the sites. Oh, there is a few running Bamboos here I don't think that care about the occasional minus ten degree Winter, and even colder! I've got one friend a few miles from here whose backyard is well on the way to being ruined by a grove of Bamboo that is in the process of going everywhere, including the neighbors yards. She is trying to control it now by cutting the tops off but they'll be right back I told her.
Here is a photo of the biggest grove in my friend's yard, see it in the fence and it has spread to this other area of her yard about 15 feet away where it has formed another grove. That original grove that I'm standing in front of is quite a bit narrower in diameter than it usually is because she's been cutting down the outside, but it'll be back. She says new shoots grow about 10 feet a year.

I got a start of this Bamboo (in a big red planter..lol)

Clumping Bamboo seems a bit expensive. But, I think it would be better for a planter or inside the house, and of course staying in control.

I've got something of an update on my "free Bamboo containers", they are finally kinda taking off! I still have yet to mulch all around them and make it look nicer. There are some stalks that are probably 6 feet tall.
I'll probably trim them if they get much taller, the root systems can't be too pleased in the cramped confines of the kitty litter buckets. I'll post more photos later after I landscape it all nice with more rocks and mulch.