Photo by Melody

Central Midwest Gardening: May 2012-Plants done Blooming?, 2 by shortleaf

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright shortleaf

In reply to: May 2012-Plants done Blooming?

Forum: Central Midwest Gardening

Back to postNext photo >>>
Photo of May 2012-Plants done Blooming?
shortleaf wrote:
Nice blooms on that Clematis, Pepper, and I love that trellis. Thanks for starting a new thread, Pepper.

I'm gonna be lining and stacking pretty soon, and, a lot of taking to the landfill..lol A lot of the miscellaneous stuff is decent materials and stuff that might come in use someday but unfortunately, have no place for it now.
I remember last year I was all excited for the first Lily Trees, Purple Prince, to bloom and they were a big disappointment, I wanted them to bloom like the photos - all purple, but it turned out they were mostly white.
The newest ones, Satisfaction, looks nice in the photos but I'm not getting my hopes up again! I guess I can't really expect much, I used a completely $25 free (with no other purchase) on both Lily Tree orders, they were $2.97 ea. order of 3 bulbs each.

Yeah, mulch volcanos are as bad as planting a big tree under a power line or under a window next to the house! Actually, I have some finishing touches to do on the mulch that I've already put down, it looks kinda wavy by the Persimmon but I plan to build a raingarden in that area because the runoff runs thru that area. "Covering their costs"! Isn't that an owners way of saying I want to eat out one more day a week?! lol
Actually, I think it was maybe a matter of being helped by the greediest of the two family mulch members the last time.

I forgot to say that's my big pot of hardy Mums left of the Persimmon tree in that second photo in the April 30th post. It already has blooms coming on, I've never had hardy Mums before.

Here's my lavender 'Munstead' with some little flowers. I'm not seeing the edible part, I wouldn't eat it, but the label says Mable on the Table!

Thanks, oh I got time to let stuff get big, that's like the motivation of the inexpensive gardener! lol

That mulch is really aromatic, I don't know how they were able to keep it dry, I guess with tarps or it was just delivered that day, but this load smells divine!
Thanks for the words of encouragement, back at you Sister!

I got some "rabbit fence", I'll try to get some cut and fitted over that rectangular planter. A couple more Liatris bulbs have sprang up, I counted 16 today. I can see where they just helped themselves to the other 9 or so bulbs, there is just voids all over the place. I shoulda had some wire fence ready to go when I planted them, but I didn't think they'd be so popular with squirrels, I wonder if squirrels can fit thru rabbit fence.
Hope you find your camera, happ. I wish I had a dollar for every time I lost mine. I learned a long time ago to keep it in a waterproof container in case I leave it outside, (which I've done several times..lol) The container is in alot of my photos I see, it's the blue "Maxwell House" thing, haha, like this one - http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=9099375 from a few days ago.
Hehe.. "a bean island"! Years ago, in another place in East Independence, MO., I took this photo of a stand of trees that was strategically placed in this soybean field/ cornfield, they rotated crops. But I think that Summer I went over there with a bag of seeds and I sprinkled them everywhere, I haven't been back since, it could be full of Baldcypress trees, Sycamore trees, Redbud trees, Ginkgo trees, any kind of tree seed that I could grow! I know that sounds scandalous, planting on somebody else's property, but I rented from my Grandma and she said she didn't want me to plant anything, so I had to plant my seeds somewhere! I did that kinda stuff more than I care to admit! lol I once threw a handful of Tree of Heaven seeds in the mayor's yard, under cover of darkness! Just kidding, I only thought about it!
When your yard looks like this, you plant seeds! lol Recognize the Dwarf Eastern White Pine 'Nana' from that photo, (in the back of it), it's the one in this photo now - http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=9104762&e... . I didn't grow it from a seed, it's a grafted money plant.
Will