Pacific Northwest Gardening: Hi I'm new, 1 by bonehead

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright bonehead

In reply to: Hi I'm new

Forum: Pacific Northwest Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Hi I'm new
bonehead wrote:
I will add my welcome as well. I'm up at the north end of Snohomish County on 15 acres. We've raised two sons and numerous farm animals over the years. We are now tearing down fences, letting the pastures do as they please, and blurring the line between yard and wildness. Net result is too many beds and not enough weeders! But enjoyable nevertheless.

Maury, I also have some grapes that I have struggled with over the years. I have 5 vines of unknown variety. Each vine has its own post and then they are allowed to sprawl on top of a ladder trellis about 5 1/2 feet above ground. I get beautiful luxuriant foliage every year, but relatively few clusters of grapes. I prune it back pretty hard in the spring, keeping all the side shoots to about 6" and spaced 4-5" apart. Not sure what I'm doing wrong, or if I just don't have the right micro-climate. They are planted east-west on a slight slope in mostly full sun. ?? I long ago gave up on any meaningful harvest and enjoy them as a plant, but if there's a magic answer I'd sure be interested.