Photo by Melody

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS APRIL 2012, 3 by splinter1804

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright splinter1804

In reply to: BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS APRIL 2012

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS APRIL 2012
splinter1804 wrote:
Hi everyone – Yesterday proved to be pretty productive for me as I spent the morning finding places to put plants which had been potted up the previous week and then we went to my daughter and son-in law's place for lunch with the family and as usual the rest of the day was spent chatting and being amused by the antics of the grand children.

Breeindy – That’s a very attractive Neoregelia in your pic, but it looks a lot different to what we grow as Fairy Tale down here. The Fairy Tale as we know it has more of a mauve centre than the deep pink one as shown in your pic.

There are quite a few hybrids of Fairy Tale with that colour centre and I’m wondering if your plant has had part of the hybrid formula name faded on the label which made it look like Fairy Tale – Just a thought, but this doesn’t detract from the fact that it is a very nice looking brom all the same and after all, what’s in a name? As a quite famous brom grower once said, “Never trust the name on the name tag”!

Not much to write about today so I’ll finish as usual with a few pic’s but first let me add the names of four of the pic’s I posted yesterday and which I omitted to name. Pic. 2 Neo. ‘Golden King’, Pic. 3 Neo. ‘Roy’s Rogue’, Pic. 4 Neo. ‘Grey Nurse’ and Pic. 5 Neo. ‘Inferno’

The first of today’s pic’s is what we grow down here as Neo Fairy Tale, I post it just as a comparison with the Neo Fairy Tale in Breeindy’s pic. Does anyone know which of these two plants is the correct Neo. Fairy Tale?

Pic No. 2 is Neo 'Royal Cordovan', Pic. 3 Neo Princeps 'Rainbow' (special form), Pic 4 Neo. 'Rosy Morn' and Pic 5 Neo. 'Prince of Darkness'??

All the best, Nev