European Gardening: Old Address in Edinburgh, 1 by Dinu

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Dinu

In reply to: Old Address in Edinburgh

Forum: European Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Old Address in Edinburgh
Dinu wrote:
This is a picture I told about. Will be back with details.

This group is the Madras Christian College Cricket Team, the winners of the Inter-Collegiate Shield, 1918. Mr.Tait, M.A. is sitting with the trophy near his feet, hat in hand. My grandfather is standing behind him in the black coat.

Mr. Tait remembered in the mid 1930s when he wrote to him from Scotland after he retired, about a certain cricket match -I presume it was something to do with this one. It was about my grandfather taking three crucial wickets in one over (his first of the innings) against their opponents and that was the key in winning that match.

Sitting on extreme right of Mr.Tait is one Rev.G. Pittendrigh, (black suit) and sitting next to him is one Ritchworth. I presume Mr.Tait was a Physics teacher. Not too sure. He was teaching for the B.A. Rev.W.Skinner is to Mr.Tait's extreme left. During this time, he was close to his retirement, it is presumed.

Mysore was lucky to have so many intellectuals from the UK in various positions, usually high and it had created a great impression on the minds of the people here. That reflected in the generations to come. Thanks should go to the Mysore Kings, themselves great patrons of Art, Culture and Education. Some of the roads/parks are also named after a few of those British residents who were doing wonderful service here. We have Curzon Park, Cubbon Park, Gordon Park... There was one Rev.Sawday, a Christian Missionary, very popular for his good deeds. My bungalow is next to his.

This message was edited Jun 10, 2004 11:28 AM