Photo by Melody

Accessible Gardening: #11-Practical Matters for Physically Challenged Gardeners, 1 by Sansai87

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Sansai87

In reply to: #11-Practical Matters for Physically Challenged Gardeners

Forum: Accessible Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of #11-Practical Matters for Physically Challenged Gardeners
Sansai87 wrote:
They are now, but looks weren't really an issue for me growing up, ,My father placed a high value on intelligence. He firmly believe it was an inherited trait. He wanted children, but really didn't want the bother of a wife. (Maybe, appearance issues have more to do with mothers and other women?) He was only concerned the zygotes that became my sister and I came from a healthy woman of high intelligence. I think he really tried hard not to let my sister and I know he was disappointed both with our intelligence and our gender, but we knew. I definately knew he considered me none to bright. He broke once while trying to teach me. When he was trying to get trigonometry through my head, I literally had him banging his head on the kitchen table repeating, "What went wrong. What did I do wrong." lol. I think he realized there is something more to the trait of intelligence than heredity.
I went through a lot of my life feeling like Frankenstein's monster, a well-intentioned, but failed experiment. But, when I listen to some of my friends talk about their '"normal" childhoods, I realize all-in-all I was pretty lucky. My background certainly makes me appreciate being in a warmer environment where people hug and argue and express their feelings.
Good choice on the coleous, Carrie! Pinching off the flowers is all you have to do with those. They don’t have to be pinched to keep their shape and size.
Do you still have DL's blooming, Debra?
What kind of tomatoes are you growing, Vickie? I harvested two today, but they are a funky shape. I must have planted some of MK's odd heirloom seeds. They have a sort of figure 8 shape.
The fruit on MK’s two ‘Flying Dragons’ is growing huge this year. They are already the size they normally are at harvest in late Nov. or early Dec. Some people make a sort of orangeade from them; I might actually try that this year. The fruit looks like normal orange fruit except that it is USUALLY much smaller and has fuzz like a peach. ~Nadine~