#11-Practical Matters for Physically Challenged Gardeners

SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL(Zone 8b)

Welcome to Practical Matters for Physically Challenged Gardeners #11. We came from here:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1183144/
On this thread we discuss the day-to-day challenges of gardening and enjoying the outdoors when you have some sort of physically limiting condition. Routine contributors to this thread deal with a wide range of challenges from chronic fatigue and the energy deficits caused by Depression to chronic pain and severe mobility limitations. Personal gardening circumstances range from gardening from a wheelchair to gardening without vision to gardening when you’ve had an overabundance of birthdays. :-) We are a diverse group. Feel free to join in.
Debra, I've found that rooting stimulant will sometimes get a plant through heat stress. Not to be confused with rooting hormone. I mean the liquid that you dilute in water. I use Ferti-lome Root Stimulater and Starter Solution. It's usually about $8 a 32 oz. bottle, but you only use a tablespoon or so to a gallon of water. It might be worth a try to save the pricy 'Wedding Dress' hydrangea. .
I transplanted some mock orange and gardenias late. The heat caught them before they had a chance to get well established. The stimulant seems to have revived them. Fingers crossed.
Jim is Shrek-ing out. :-) Watching back-to-back Shrek movies. Nadi is...cleaning house...without being asked to?...I'd better go find out who this imposter is and find the real Nadine. k*

(Debra) Garland, TX

Thank you, Kay. I will try that.

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Looks like I got back on line just intime to be on the new thread. It is wonderful to be back. I have truely missed you good friends. And being online.
My daylillys are blooming away. All just plain NOIDS. Except one that has to be one of my own crosses.A a plum pink and gold color. The throat is gold, throat to a strip toward the end of the petals. The outside is plum pink.Its different. There was only one bulblet so this one i've marked so i know what it is. I've been busy moving all my pots in a semi circle around my grill table and chairs to make a kind of patio.Have been spending early nights out every night.Sometimes building a fire. Right now we're under a burn ban. I keep the water hose beside me anyway. But guess i'll wait till ban is lifted.I have bought solar lights i also have in a semi circle around the area. It is so peaceful to hear the dry flies and Katydids and see the fireflys and look at the stars i can see between the trees.I planted zennias,marigolds and petunias among the daylillys and my hostas are scattered around, also have some Oriental lillys blooming.The fragrance seems all over at night tho not too strong. Also got my first ripe tomato from a container plant and have had a couple of cukes. Since i could'nt get online have got some good deep cleaning done.
Have decided to change from propane heat to electric heat this winter.Can't let anyone in untill the house is clean.LOL Also want to repaint the inside of the house in Sept. Have about decided to go for Jims gold and yellows for the living-kitchen area.(might help with depression this winter.)
Life is good!
Vickie (The lil ole grey haired lady from the very hot Ozarks)

Midland City, AL

Welcome back, Vickie!!!
You’re lucky, Kb. Fresh papaya drizzled with a little lime juice would taste great about now.
Debra, ‘When I Dream’ and ‘James Clark’ do look a lot alike. I think I like Clark a tiny bit better, but it’s like choosing between coconut cream pie and banana cream pie. They are both very good. Can you tell them apart from a distance? I’ve heard some hosta aficionados made up a rule about buying a new hosta. In order to be considered worth the price, it had to be recognizably different from any hosta they already had from a certain distance. Of course, if it’s the details of bloom color and structure that appeal to you I guess a rule like that doesn’t make sense. It doesn’t sound like you need be concerned about being replaced at your job any time soon. Your people need someone to keep them in line. lol. (Jim)

(Debra) Garland, TX

I think I like James Clark a little better. There is more texture, pattern, and definition to the petals. But I have two of each, so you'll get one of each and decide for yourself. :-)

Glad to have you back, Vickie. Hot in the mountains of AR too? .
I was hoping to find a 'Hyperion' at the nursery today. It is such an old classic I thought finding one would be simple. But, they are down to the lost label DL's and the ones that don't look so healthy. They tell me they will have more scented ones in fall.
It's not raining at the moment so I'll try to get more weeding in before dark. k. . .

(Debra) Garland, TX

Think I am giving the last three to the woman who cleaned my house today. She cleans the boss' house, too, and her son works for me at the office. He's moved quite a few plants-even a big shrub and little tree-from here to their house. She really likes flowers of all kinds, and I want my grandniece to marry HIM if he's still single when SHE is old enough. So I have extra reason to be extra nice. Buttering up Mom to approve the nuptials. ROFL

Midland City, AL

I sure hope ‘Garden Chapeau’ and ‘Royal Easter’ survive for you, Debra. Those are exceptionally pretty. Are those examples of what DL aficionados are talking about when they say a bloom is watermarked?
The solar lights are a great idea, Vickie, if you can keep pups and kids from playing with them. lol. I increased the height of the poles ours are on. Trying to come up with a way of varying the light color. Kay has gone back to moonlight gardening and we have 3 walkways side-by-side. One to the stairs, one to the w/c ramp and one leading into the Fragrance Garden. I could make it like an airport landing strip for DW. She can still see light. 3 different colors to marking the 3 different walkways. (Jim)

(Debra) Garland, TX

Wrap transparent color film on the outside of the fixtures?
http://www.northernsound.net/Sales/Filters/filters/rosco/roscolux.html

mulege, Mexico

Check out www.glowinc.com. They have glow in the dark paints both water and oil based. The owner is Daniel and I'm sure he'd have some good ideas.

kb

(Debra) Garland, TX

Cool site, Katie. :-)

Midland City, AL

Thank you both for the sites.
Melinda is a professional with rehabilitation services. She advises us about safety and mobility issues. One of the things she suggested we do for VI’s is to paint the risers (vertical part) of the steps) a contrasting color. We haven’t done it yet because MK doesn’t need it and Jenny isn’t around anymore. (There are no other VI’s at the moment.) I think a glow-in-the-dark paint would be a good choice for the risers. That would even make the stairs safer for TAP’s.
I like the idea of altering the colors of the solar lights too.. That would be useful and FUN. I still like being outside at night. I don’t wander as far from the house at night as I did before hearing something in the woods I couldn’t identify and something Fenny was scared of. (Maybe, one of Bone Woman's children. lol.). :-)The Moonlight Garden is thankfully just outside the front door. It is incorporated into the Fragrance Garden. It seems like most night bloomers are also fragrant. My next addition to that will probably be yucca. I’ve read they are pollinated by moths. I’m still researching that. There are so many kinds of yucca to choose from. ~Nadine~

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Nadene, I love being outside at night too. And have been doing so.With my 3 dogs and 3 cats for company Nothing will slip by their notice.DD tells me snakes don't stay around where cats are. Sure hope thats true but i still keep a wary eye out.
Young Scoot is a joy.Cricket will play with him but poor ole Dillen just lets out a groan and rolls over.One cat has scratched his nose,another runs from him and Miss Kitty ignores him with every atom of her being.And that is funny. Oh yes i have another lap dog.DD wanted me to take another kitten. I told her that was NOT FUNNY!
We've been having 100+ temps up here on the mountain.107 in the valley.Am sleeping daytime and working night.Also went to Walmarts at 2AM the other night. All you guys be careful seems like someone is always ending up in the hosp.with heat stroke.
Have been cleaning kitchen. Seems like the more i do the behinder i get.
My grandson gets out of prison next month. I'm going to go pick him up and take him to Little Rock to some halfway house.I can forgive but not trust again.His mom and dad don't have a vehicle or the money to go get him. I've never been to my mothers grave and will go by there as it's not far from where he's at.Also my other grandparents lived at Ulm ARK also nearby and will see if i can visit some gravesites there.
The govenor of Okla has asked everyone to pray for rain. Might be a good idea.
Vickie

(Debra) Garland, TX

Katie, think I'm going to get some of that glow powder myself, thanks.

Hug, Vickie!

Jim, the watermark is "A zone above the flower's throat which is lighter in color than the petal color. " These two have eyes. "A darker colored zone on the petals and sepals of the flower just above the throat. Notice that in the examples below the eye pattern also appears on the sepals. If the dark pattern only appears on the petals, it as called a band." There are specific definitions for each little variation, and I doubt I will ever get them all. I just know what I like. LOL

Nadine, keep paying attention to the dogs. They know whats what most of the time. :-)

Carrie, how is it going with the 576 plugs?

Afternoon, Sheri. :-)

Kay, how about a photo of the haircut? You can have them take it from the back if you don't like having your picture made.

Y'all check this out. (Hey, I've lived in Texas since 1971. AND I was conceived in Waco, so I kin use them suthrun werds sumtimes. ROFL) Saw a thread on another site where a teacher wanted to put in a garden with her class and had no money for anything. They used cardboard boxes and dirt from the schoolyard. And voila! It worked! Day before yesterday, I received a lot of 25 small-fan no ID daylilies. No pots, not a lot of newspaper wrapping when shipped and wayyyyy too hot to be digging. Hmmm. Is they gonna die? Then, this morning, the lightbulb went off. See? I think they will be just fine for some time. The others waiting do have a lot of paper and, as long as I keep the paper at least damp, they will be okay for awhile, too. Daylilies are amazing things.

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse
Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I think I got many of the lobelia planted, many of the impatiens, some of the alyssum and a few of the coleus. I know where I want more of the coleus to go, they're just not there yet; most of the alyssum punked out from not being planted fast enough when they were so tiny and because it was really hot when they first arrived. For some strange reason the coleus are still going strong, 50% still in their plug tray! I really had a hard time choosing my 4th tray - should have followed my first instinct and gotten portulaca. 144 is a lot of plugs!

So are we turning into the DL thread? lol. Debra, DH feels like he is being (what is the word you used?) back shelfed or red-stickered or earmarked for early retirement too. Whatever. But he's the one who keeps turning departments around from mutinous to nearly well-oiled machines, but that's not the high profile life. But he's not supposed to WANT the high profile life, he's not trying to advance his career, just not lose it before 10/2014 when he retires with full travel benefits. (Yipee!)

Midland City, AL

I finally got her to to take a picture, but she said I had to be there too sorry for the scarry man lol. (Jim)

Thumbnail by seacanepain
Midland City, AL

Made her do another to show the haircut better.

Thumbnail by seacanepain
Midland City, AL

And here is the rest of the story as Paul Harvey would say, 25 inch braid.

Thumbnail by seacanepain
Winston Salem, NC(Zone 7a)

Kay,

Are you gonna sent that braid to "Locks of love"? Or just keep as a souvenir?

Sheri ^_^

lol. It's on its way to Locks of Love. Thought Jim had already mailed it out. Maybe, he was like that little girl and the cherry tree limb and thought he could super glue it back on. :-) Still feels a little strange not to have the weight of it on my neck after so many years, but I love how much cooler it is.
After failing with the herbicide Rodeo, I've taken on the task of removing the seacane the brutish way and just dig it up. Replacing it immediately with wildflowers to prevent erosion on the bank where it grows. Already broke one shovel. :-) The roots are forearm to full arm length and about the diameter of my arm, as well. Hoping to avoid Roundup because of possible water contamination. I may end up trying Rodeo again when the weather is better. Rodeo is said to be safe to use near water. I set a goal of 10 roots a day. I didn't think it would be too hard because the ground is so wet. (This is the first day without rain we've had in a long time.) , but it is more exhausting than I thought it would be. I'll aim for 5 and use a pry bar. :-)
Reading an audio book on Accessible Gardening techniques. That, in fact, is its name. (Accessible Gardening by Janeen R. Adil) Not sure I'm in complete agreement with the author on minimum container sizes for specific plants, but otherwise it is good. She may be right. I have plenty of space to play around with so I've never pushed the envelope. The book contains a list of plant cultivars that are best suited for container growth. My system was simply to look for dwarf in the common name or nana in the botanical name.
Nadi is getting over a summer cold, but she worked on the ramp a little today. Jim took the gift of a clear day to mow. For me, it's weeding, weeding and more weeding. *k

(Debra) Garland, TX

Kay, you have beautiful hair. I can just see the angel wings shimmering around the envelope when they open it. [hug]

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Kay, I can see those angel wings too. You and Jim are a very handsome couple.Jim is lucky to have a woman with a lot of common sense and stability and good looks too. His eyes just sparkle with mischievious intensity.LOL
Nearly all my plants(daylillys,peonys,iris,and lillys are in 20" pots. Some I've just filled up like a little garden. So far so good.I need to divide most of them in Sept.I've got one empty pot,May start some mums in pots. I've got one pot full have had for several years.Have decided Iris spreads too fast to keep them in pots.Have had 3 ripe tomatoes and 2 cukes from my potted tomatoes and cuke plants.Also 3 tomato worms i caught just in time.Maybe I need to get a couple of pet chickens.
Weeding is what put me in a lot of pain. Weeding a pot is simple.
We've had the hottest June on record and headed for the hottest July.Also driest. Please blow some of that rain this way.
Debra, Daylillys are hard to kill.Even plain ole murder does'nt work sometimes.
I've lost the phone # to some cabins we rent sometimes for family reunions in Okla. BETTER START LOOKING. Seems like i'm always losing things lately.
Saying a prayer for your DH,s job Carrie.

Midland City, AL

What color or kind of Coleus, Carrie? (lol. Try to say that 10 times fast.) Coleus and caladiums are PJ’s favorite foliage plants, but we didn’t grow any this year with all the hard-scaping going on. None of either made it through the harsher than usual winter. They should be going on sale soon and we can stock up again. I want to find smaller coleus this time so I can nurse some through the winter inside. The ones we had got to be the size of shrubs by the end of summer. I think they were ‘Inky Fingers’ or a similar colored kind that grew from seed.
I planted some Japanese Dwarf Star Jasmine today as a ground cover in the front walkway border. MK says they don’t usually flower much when they are growing prostrate, but they make a nice evergreen ground cover. I planted one in a hanging basket also so we could get the full impact of the flowers somewhere.
MK shot down my yucca in the Moonlight Garden idea unless I can come up with a way of keeping them from poking or cutting anyone with their sharp edges. I didn’t think of that. MOST visually impaired people don’t like sharp or thorny plants. (MK and her love for ‘Flying Dragon’ oranges, the most wicked of thorny plants, is an exception no one understands.) Strangely, she gets fewer injuries pruning them than anyone else does. I guess that is because blind people tend to have a light touch. Of course, there was the time she was weeding beneath one of the Dragons and got her hair tangled up in the thorny branches. Nope, I don’t think she will miss having long hair at all. lol) The Dragons aren’t in the VI’s Fragrance Garden though. I’ll incorporate yucca somewhere in my bee corner instead. I had yucca fries. I would like to try and grow them to make my own fries. MK says she will explain her love for ‘Flying Dragons’ on the day I explain what compels me to cook from wild scratch. lol. Uhhh… ~N~

I've learned I can become a real redneck now. :-) Have to remember to apply sunscreeen.
I think barberries are the wickedest of wicked thorns. 'Flying Dragon' thorns, by virtue of their impressive size, can be avoided.
Oh, how I wish I could convince the rain to visit the midwest. Too much of a good thing here. The tomatoes are cracking from the excess moisture (even Jim's little Jellybean tomatoes) and I'm going to be a pickle soon from using vinegar internally and externally to prevent fungal infections of the skin.
It isn’t TOO bad outside. 88 degrees and 68% humidity, but I still haven’t been able to convince myself to do any work out there. I’ll do my minimum daily quota of seacane removal and loads of dirt transferred to the ramp in the cool of the evening and call that good enough. I’ve learned from experience when I feel like this and still push myself I end up regretting it. Some indigenous people of N. Mexico talk of listening to Little Woman (or Little Man, as the case may be.) They say there is a part of you that knows everything, you just have to get stubborn, willful Big Child to stop nagging you so you can hear the instructions the Little Old One whispers to you. I’ve never been very good at doing what I’m told, but I’m learning to listen.
The pink crepe myrtle that offends Jim’s aesthetic sense won’t stay in the CanDo Garden border. I’m just nursing it there until it recovers enough to be moved to the E. boundary where it can grow naturally to its tree form. The limbs were butchered and it didn’t come up easily from its former home. I didn’t get as good a root system as I was hoping for. A faucet and garden sink are in the CanDo Garden and I’m working in the bed there virtually every day. That makes it a good place to ensure the pink lady will get the extra water and TLC it will need for awhile. I want a crepe myrtle there, just not that one. ‘Acoma’ would fit the space without much pruning... I’m looking for one I can afford. The pink CM makes a good placeholder for now. In the Bee Corner allowed to grow naturally with some Joe Pye Weed for company the over-the-top pink lady will be free to strut her stuff and be appreciated. . k*

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Kay, you're gorgeous!!!! Don't remove ALL the seacane--we still want Jim around.

Nadine, it is Wizard Mix coleus, just staring at me.

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

I'd like you to keep a little bit of seacane around too.
Kay, I beleive in that little man or woman too. I just call them angels.
I've grown the wizard mix coleus before too.What kind of coleus do you want?

Here's a site you might injoy looking at.
http://www.rosydawngardens.com
Also expensive.
This message was edited Jul 21, 2011 3:41 AM

This message was edited Jul 21, 2011 3:44 AM

Since peak daylily season is coming to an end, it will be coleus and caladiums with Jim now. If I succeed in getting rid of all the seacane, Jim ill just have to change his user name. He has plenty of time to think up another one. My battle with the seacane will be long. I will probably see shoots next year from root pieces I missed.
Thanks, Carrie. Growing up among beauty queen sisters I wasn’t told I looked nice very often. But, there are advantages to being the youngest in a family, your siblings all start looking old before you do. ;-)
Dawn has come. Time to get some work done before it gets too hot so I have something to write about. Have a great day, All. . k*

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Nobody in my family was beauty queen but both my parents had some weird ethic about not boasting and not being prideful and not thinking too much of yourself. Separately (because they split up when I was ten) they each had me convinced I was ugly, fat, my feet were too wide (still are) and the rest of the world confirmed it. Looking at pictures of myself as a child (which I've been doing a lot the last couple days b/c we had a family reunion) I see a sweet child up until my parents split and adolescence hit (kind of simultaneously) then I see a lot of pimples, glasses, crazy hair that was SO out of style, but not the shrek-like creature I felt like inside. Then when I graduated HS I started riding a bike and getting into shape. During college I started growing my hair long which took years and years but it was finally manageable. It took until husband #3 (my DH) for me to actually feel beautiful inside.

Midland City, AL

They are now, but looks weren't really an issue for me growing up, ,My father placed a high value on intelligence. He firmly believe it was an inherited trait. He wanted children, but really didn't want the bother of a wife. (Maybe, appearance issues have more to do with mothers and other women?) He was only concerned the zygotes that became my sister and I came from a healthy woman of high intelligence. I think he really tried hard not to let my sister and I know he was disappointed both with our intelligence and our gender, but we knew. I definately knew he considered me none to bright. He broke once while trying to teach me. When he was trying to get trigonometry through my head, I literally had him banging his head on the kitchen table repeating, "What went wrong. What did I do wrong." lol. I think he realized there is something more to the trait of intelligence than heredity.
I went through a lot of my life feeling like Frankenstein's monster, a well-intentioned, but failed experiment. But, when I listen to some of my friends talk about their '"normal" childhoods, I realize all-in-all I was pretty lucky. My background certainly makes me appreciate being in a warmer environment where people hug and argue and express their feelings.
Good choice on the coleous, Carrie! Pinching off the flowers is all you have to do with those. They don’t have to be pinched to keep their shape and size.
Do you still have DL's blooming, Debra?
What kind of tomatoes are you growing, Vickie? I harvested two today, but they are a funky shape. I must have planted some of MK's odd heirloom seeds. They have a sort of figure 8 shape.
The fruit on MK’s two ‘Flying Dragons’ is growing huge this year. They are already the size they normally are at harvest in late Nov. or early Dec. Some people make a sort of orangeade from them; I might actually try that this year. The fruit looks like normal orange fruit except that it is USUALLY much smaller and has fuzz like a peach. ~Nadine~

Thumbnail by Sansai87
(Debra) Garland, TX

Nadine, nothing blooming or budding now, but I expect in September I might have some of the rebloomers. Probably going to be too hot in August. Although, we all hope to be surprised on that topic. :-)

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Grandmother did'nt even classify me in the human race.I was a throwback to the caveman. I now think in a way i was.I preferred outside(Course i was locked outside alot)When i learned to read i intered that world anyway.I remember Girl OF The Limberlost by Gene Porter ???? described my life in a way.without the happy ending.But things turned around in adulthood and i was very lucky. I thought i was ugly but later decided i was passable.And did'nt worry about it. My life was in books anyway.I learned most people are'nt bad and are very good just a few rotten apples out there.It is so very wonderful to be able to love people.I had thick feet. My poor girls had thick and wide feet.

(Debra) Garland, TX

There is a fable about a beautiful young princess who was asked by a witch if she would rather be happy early in life or late in life. The princess, being as wise as she was beautiful, chose late. So would I. :-)

(Debra) Garland, TX

Okay, heat finally got me. Did not realize how much having a constant breeze helps until this afternoon when there wasn't one until that last 10 minutes. Managed to get the Maltese Falcon, Grey Witch, Garden Chapeau, Royal Easter, Black Briar Bay, Watermelon Man, Willow, and Heavenly Starfire separated and in the ground or in pots. Been watering them in the shipping boxes. Some were thriving despite the heat and just having roots wrapped in damp newspaper. Was time to plant, though, before any were lost. Watered a few areas and sprinkled fertilizer here and there. Still need to get pavers or bricks to outline the new bed. TooHotTooHotTooHot to go look at big box stores.

Trying to hold out on new daylilies until September, not the least reason is I've spent way too much on them this year. And it's reallllly hot to be outside planting. Then, last night was told of a daylily sale and have found three that were always too expensive until now. So its going to be noodles and bologna for awhile again. But, I am excited about them.

Magic of Oz
(not only on sale, but buy-one-get-one. yippee!)
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/116197/

Spacecoast Sea Shells
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/122047/

Cathy Cute Legs
(my sister's name is Cathy, this one is for her :-)
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/163873/
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also, have these coming from two other vendors:

Lemon Lily
(buy two, get one free :-)
http://www.earlybirddaylilies.com/cgi-bin/intralinks/store.cgi?action=link&sku=lemonlily&uid=2646

Irish Elf
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/51184/

Stars over Alabama
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/315450/

Sweet Sugar Candy
(Yes, Jim, it's pink and I did know it was pink this time. LOL It is a Late and Extended bloomer.)
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/260413/

Was taking a few vacation days soon to coincide with an employee's break. We work on a weekly project that takes both of us. So with him out, seemed a good time for me to go, too. Last night, he asked to delay until third weekend in August. Maybe, maybe, it will have either cooled a little or rained between now and then. A lot of structural projects I'd like to get started on. Need to move some misplaced plants (like the Arctic Queen Clematis just frying because I was trying to train it up a metal fence post with full eastern exposure. Uh, duh, dumb place, Debra. :-D Also want to move all the miscellaneous non-peony plants in this small bed to make room for the five new peonies coming in September. Fingers crossed we'll have some relief by then.

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse
Midland City, AL

I would say we will have to go to Carrie for blooms in August. But, I just heard some heat traps in NYC are hitting 125 degrees. August will just have to be garden dream time. Catalog browsing and planning the fall garden. ~N~

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

I have a red one and a pink daylillys blooming. I bought some late bloomers. Wish i'd bought more. I water almost everyday now. I go out after dark. (Have solar lights everywhere) and very early morning.I simply can't breathe in hot air.
Scoot got bitten by a copperhead yesterday. I gave him Benydryl and sat up with him. He's over it this afternoon. I hate those snakes.
I'd like to gather them up and let them all loose on Capital Hill in DC right now. Probably would'nt help tho. LOL
I vaguely remember some politicians named copperheads but nothing about them.
Sounds good to look thru some flower catalogs. or online for some mums. I need something to carry on the flower season longer.Think I'll google mums and see what i get. On the 3rd am going around the General Dollar stores and see if any have any big flowerpots left.I've picked u some good bargains in August sometimes. Course we may not get our checks in August this year. But ya know i have faith that no government person would do that to us.

Midland City, AL

Debra, do me a favor and keep me posted on how well the lemon lily does. I know Kay has wanted that one ever since she caught a whiff of it on a garden tour near Montgomery. We were told it wouldn’t grow this far south when we asked about it at a local nursery, however. Kay questioned that since Montgomery is only about 2 hours north. When I did a computer search, the online nursery catalog gave zone 7 as its southern limit. Could be there is more than one daylily called lemon lily PF listed it as far south as zone 9. I am very curious to see how well it grows for you. It is said to be the most fragrant of the daylilies.
My favorite of your new arrivals has to be Spacecoast seashell, but for my safety I’ll say it was Stars over Alabama. :-) Sweet Sugar candy just brings on a craving for cotton candy. lol.
This is Nadine’s day to be Story lady at the library. Kay is using her walker, but she is up and about. Weeding the long bed in the CanDo Garden.
Vickie i would rather deal with the snakes that have no legs :)

(Debra) Garland, TX

Vickie, I've been hunting out late blooming in these recent orders. Spread the bloom time out as much as possible. Give Scooter a hug for me. Once saw an Australian Shepherd puppy bitten in the head by a rattler. He was eventually okay, but it was scary looking.

Jim, I've also seen references that say it will grow into Zone 9. Sent a message to the grower for her opinion. Since I have three coming, I'll send one to you guys in September, anyway. It ain't pink! The grower for Stars over Alabama hasn't yet gotten back to me. She had to go out and make sure she had them before billing and she has family in this week. Have never seen Spacecoast Sea Shells listed for less than $25.00, so this one is a great deal. The grower is shipping to me in September. Any I get with double fans, be happy to share. AND, go to his site and enter Competition in the search box. He is including this one as a bonus in all orders. What do you think of it?
https://daylilygarden.net/cgi-bin/WEB_STORE/web_store.cgi

Yea, Nadine! I love libraries.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I have balloonflowers, daylilies, honeysuckle, knockout rainbow roses, hydrangea QuickFire and hmmm can't look out the back right now but alll that is right now and MIGHT/SHOULD still be going in August. Got chewed out for not writing enough!

Midland City, AL

Carrie, "One Bad Apple..." was very good. It had useful and fun info. I popped some grapes in the freezer after reading it. lol.
Looking forward to the next installment. All our tomatoes are indeterminate so I can keep up with those. but other veggies pile up and I'm not always sure of the best ways to keep them fresh. I cheated with the cucumbers and put some in "Bingo bags." I was visiting a couple I've been friends with a long time who live in an apartment building solely for the elderly and disabled. They have Bingo in the community room every week. You can't play for money in Alabama so the winner gets a goodie bag. The management let me put the cucumbers in the prize bags. It went over quite well. The bags usually have cookies and things like that. Most of the people who live there survive on SSI and SSDI so things are often tight. I guess fresh fruit and veggies sometimes count as goodies.
Lots of flowers in August. How cool is that. Most of those type plants bloom in April and May for us. Except the balloon flowers, I don't think we've ever grown those. ~Nadine~

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.