Perennials: Color Echoes VI Color Theory in the Garden , 1 by tabasco

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright tabasco

Subject: Color Echoes VI Color Theory in the Garden

Forum: Perennials

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Color Echoes VI Color Theory in the Garden
tabasco wrote:
"Color is like food for the spirit--plus it's not addictive or fattening". Isaac Mizarani says it in a nutshell right there!

When I saw that quotation after visiting a friends garden this week, I immediately thought of our old "Color Echoes" threads here on DG. They were so much fun and I thought it might be time to resurrect the concept for an in depth look at our most recent successful plant combinations.

For those who aren't familiar with the term 'color echo', it refers to identifying a particular hue or shade in a plant, in the bloom or in the foliage, and repeating that color in another different plant nearby. If you repeat (or echo) this hue in other details, perhaps a pot or a painted fence or another plant, and repeat the occurrence, the technique will yield a color harmony through out the garden. The color doesn't have to be the primary color of the bloom. It might be in the leaf, or in the tendrils, or a secondary color in the petal that is repeated. Sometimes it's very subtle.

Anyway, this concept has been popularized by the author and gardener Pamela Harper in her book "Color Echoes: Harmonizing Color in the Garden" available (very cheaply) from Amazon Used Books, if you want more info and lots of good pics:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0025481851/ref=dp_olp...

So who wants to join in?! Let's get out the camera and get some pics! I always found everyone's ideas very inspirational!

Here's mine (actually from a friend's garden): A Tri-color Beech with white, pink and dark green leaves, echoed in the astilbe and the other tall pink flower. And the green in the Beech is also echoed in the leaves of the Japanese Iris. Another echo in this planting is the charteuse of the hosta with the grass.

Do you have one to add?? I hope so!