Photo by Melody

Accessible Gardening: Still Laughing With Joy #6 Accessible Gardening, 1 by carrielamont

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright carrielamont

In reply to: Still Laughing With Joy #6 Accessible Gardening

Forum: Accessible Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Still Laughing With Joy #6 Accessible Gardening
carrielamont wrote:
Did I tell you about the snorkeling? We weren't sure I'd be able to snorkel - I lack a lot of normal coordination - and the snorkeling tours were kind of expensive (if it turned out I couldn't do it) so we picked a glass-bottom boat tour with optional snorkeling. They kept saying "Are you SURE you want this 2 pm tour? The visibility at 10 am is slightly better." But we kept saying no, no, we want the 2 pm tour. The chance of our getting to the Marina by 9:30 when we didn't even know where it was, and it tales us a while to get going in the morning ... anyway, they finally let us book a 2 pm cruise. Turns out we were the ONLY TWO PEOPLE ON THE BOAT! So we said we'd really like to try snorkeling but I don't know if I can do it or not. Fine, fine. So when we got out to the reef they have like these broad steps that lead down to the water, so I just bumped down on my butt (down is always easier, isn't it) and popped in the water. No problemo.

Then he (Diego the guide) showed us how to put the mask and flippers on, and then he had a life saver ring and we held onto that and he just towed us around. Oh yeah, we were wearing life jacket-type thingies. But I COULD do the breathing part, just breath in and out through your mouth and not through your nose. We got towed around for about 90 min.!

And The Most Amazing Part was after we got back in the boat, Pedro (the captain, who spoke more English than Diego) said we get 5 or 6 people in wheelchairs a week. You are the only one who has ever gone snorkeling!