Photo by Melody

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: Bromeliad for the novice and Addict for mar-Apr 2011, 1 by weed_woman

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright weed_woman

In reply to: Bromeliad for the novice and Addict for mar-Apr 2011

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Bromeliad for the novice and  Addict for mar-Apr 2011
weed_woman wrote:
Pam, I'm sorry we didn't get to see your Araeococcus flagellifolius flower! I didn't even know what it was untill I googled it. How and where did you get it?
Wendy, I'm none the wiser about your Litmus/procerum blue enquiry. This is my first time for Litmus, and I haven't seen the other either. I hope you find some interesting seed to try. I have tried seed from variegated plants, and had none variegated, and also used them as pollen parents with no variegation in the sresulting seedlings either, but thats not to say that it can't happen. I think variegated concentricas are used a bit in Skotaks hybrids?
Nev, firstly, what a great set up for your seedlings. So neat, and in order. They all look very healthy. The variance in your seedlings is amazing, and no doubt due to the unknown quantity when it comes to the parentage. If you cross hybrids, there is the chance of getting genetic variances from all the plants that made up the parents, so, I guess, a greater chance of getting something different. I was reading somewhere that Grace Goode liked to use species as parent plants, as they are more stable and you can be surer of the results.
I also questioned your Nid. innocentii var. linneatum. I have a plant that looks similar to your pictured one, but it seems to be a thicker leaf, with more spines than innocentii, and the flower stays green in the center, and is also variegated. I have another plant that I beleive to be var. linneatum, and it gets the fully red flower (still variegated). I'll just see if I have a pic somewhere. Yep, found one.
Hello Charleen, is it warming up there yet?
Karen, try a couple of garden visits to bromeliad gardens, and you'll soon be spotting all sorts of plants you hadn't seen before, and seeing different ways people landscape with them. Its just another way to kick that addiction along! The Alcantareas are great, as they have smooth edges and can take alot of sun. Big though, most of them, but quite a statement in the garden.
Sue