Wildlife: Heidi Chronicles: Dreaming of Spring, 1 by DreamOfSpring

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright DreamOfSpring

In reply to: Heidi Chronicles: Dreaming of Spring

Forum: Wildlife

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Heidi Chronicles: Dreaming of Spring
DreamOfSpring wrote:
Tonight, after 'missing' me for a few days, the raccoons were careful to arrive early tonight AND to come to the bedroom window to let me know of their arrival. I was up and working, finally, I swear, but had come back in here for something when they found me.

It's all wet and raining out, but I grabbed the camera and ran back out there to get a few pics for those who just might need to see the little guys now and again. Even as I was trying to take pics, it was raining on me - and the camera. The patio remains messy and now that it's wet, it looks worse than ever, but as I have my hands full right now with other things, it will have to stay that way for a while yet. The greenish cast on the patio is mold/algae, the scorge of North facing outer walls and patios in the SE where 52in/yr rain + near 100% humidity in summer - sun (no direct sun on North facing structures) = the perfect home for mold. Normally, I would have had the power wash guys wash the house, patio, drive, sidewalks, etc, but this year that had to be put on the back burner along with many other non-necessities for obvious reasons.

There were only 3 raccoons out there tonight. At least, that's all I saw while I was out there. Still, after leaving that one raccoon out a few nights earlier, I put out the full 5 places. When I left, the 2 extra pile of food sat untouched as the 3 raccoons ate from their respective piles, and the rain ramped up such that it might eventually wash the extra kibble away. It's the story of raccoon feeding. Too much. Too little. Hard to judge it right.

Below is one of Heidi's youngster. Note that he doesn't look so chubby like Heidi does in the cover photo. That's because it's 50+ degrees out there tonight.