Daylilies: Hybridizing, 1 by Lyle627

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Lyle627

Subject: Hybridizing

Forum: Daylilies

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Hybridizing
Lyle627 wrote:
I have been asked by some of the members of this forum to post and share information on hybridizing. We still have some talented hybridizers on board and I do hope they will jump in on any questions pertaining to northern or southern hybridizing. Also I have limited experience with Ufo's and spiders so any question on those would be directed to the hybridizers growing those forms.
The daylily growers and hybridizers population has been scattered in recent months and I do fear this could become a problem with the advancement in daylilies, everywhere you find a site you find and opinion of how daylilies should be grown and hybridized. Well ....What’s your favorite color? Hybridizing is about individuals who are searching for that perfect daylily, one that they dream of in their own mind - no more no less, it's that simple and has nothing to do with who has the prettiest seedling on a front page of a daylily site, most of the seedlings you see are thrown in the compost pile due to lack of one thing or another, so just think you could be drooling over garbage….lol. These are my thoughts on hybridizing!

I will be glad to share photos of seedlings with parentage, for those who may be interested in something that might work into their program or may be of interest to someone getting started.
I will leave the posts short so others may jump in and share their thoughts.

ROSES AND GOLD is one of favorite parents for the reds and purples…..parent to Born to Run also Violet Becomes You and other notables………

ROSES AND GOLD X WONDER OF IT ALL