Central Midwest Gardening: December 2010, 1 by shortleaf

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright shortleaf

In reply to: December 2010

Forum: Central Midwest Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of December 2010
shortleaf wrote:
Eek, that IS some snow! I'm gonna right click and do copy much more regularly now!

Yeah, it is kinda funny about the compost here being fenced in, I think the guy that made it was a sort of imbecile. Surely somebody could see that the "legs" he used were part of the firewood stand, they were all together. I don't know what the guy was thinking, but I don't think building composters is his forte'! I got a photo of it below, its a hideous thing!

Tomorrow is a "city services" day! I connected my trailer of sticks, to my truck of sticks, and I'm taking truck and trailer of sticks to the landfill tomorrow. There is 21 yard waste sacks out there by the mailbox for them to pick up also (leaves).

Haha! The Prickly-Pear takes the shape of a man eh?! Quite the imagination there Sallyp! Mine really looks pathetic. I'm glad it looks a lot better in the warm months! You'd think it was expired in the Winter, but in the Spring it appropriately springs back to life. Never-the-less, mine is about half the size as Pepper's. I think her's is ready to plant even more than mine, it seems to be growing pretty good. I use bbq tongs to handle the pads on the PP. I'll prolly use latex gloves to plant it, as at least something. I'll keep duck tape handy, it can be pretty effective, just in case, to put over any needles in the skin to pull out many of them if needed. It's like that episode of Seinfeld of a bandage as an equivalent of a relationship, "one motion, right off"! lol I guess the best thing is not to touch the cactus! : )

Thanks billyp, I think the strong winds a couple days ago really gave that mulched area an almost vacuumed look. Its like it blew all the leaves away but left the mulch. I too am glad it turned out that way.

Those Pin Oaks dropped about 95% of the leaves so far. I was getting weary of waiting on them to fall. I was thinking "cmon already and fall, I need to rake before its zero degrees!" It took them a long time to fall, I could tell they were brown but they were hanging on like theres no tomorrow! I've read that about Pin Oaks too, that they can hang on until around January! I thot the Fall colors were prettier than most years, I got a lot of opportunity to look at them this year because of my wanting to see them fall off! They were a nice shade of brown/russet if that color does anything for anybody, hey, its nicer than brown!. At least it was something! But, it was still way short of the beauty of our Japanese Maple in Fall color.

In retrospect, I prolly shoulda suggested she come inside and call for a ride, I don't think her car was in any shape to go much further. Altho, I've unintentionally driven cars without oil or something real bad, in years past, and I never was stranded, I don't try to abuse cars or anything..lol When I was younger myself, I wasn't always in the frame of mind to always be checking on my car.

Thanks for reminding me about putting on thermals! I put on my long johns and won't remove them until April! I like the thermals misself! They are as good as sliced bread!
Just knowing they are on gives one some warmth!
Will

This message was edited Dec 2, 2010 3:50 PM