Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Wildlife: Critters Big and Small Vol.6, 1 by TheHackster

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright TheHackster

In reply to: Critters Big and Small Vol.6

Forum: Wildlife

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Critters Big and Small Vol.6
TheHackster wrote:
I've seen these lizards all my life, but never took the time to figure out their ID. According to what I read, and pix I saw, this is an Eastern Fence Lizard (Sceloporus undulatus). I also saw it referred to as a Southern Fence Lizard.

Mine definitely shows the characteristic wavy transverse dark cross bars on its dorsal surface. In fact, It's specific name, undulatus is Latin for "wave," and refers to those transverse dark cross-bars.

I think mine's a female because I read that females are usually gray and have a series of dark, wavy lines across their back. I can't see her belly but it is said to be white with black flecks, and they have some pale blue coloration on their throat and belly, too. Males are usually brown and during the summer they have a lot more greenish-blue and black coloration on the sides of the belly and throat than the female has. The young look like the females, but are darker and duller.

I'm gonna be on the lookout for a male, because they have a nice pretty blue coloring on their ventral surface. I'll probably never catch one though, this one was FAST.

Hack

This message was edited Oct 9, 2010 10:59 PM