Photo by Melody

Accessible Gardening: Practical Matters for Physically Challenged Gardeners , 1 by Amargia

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Amargia

In reply to: Practical Matters for Physically Challenged Gardeners

Forum: Accessible Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Practical Matters for Physically Challenged Gardeners
Amargia wrote:
My SIL grew an old-fashion lilac here. She fell in love with the scent while living in Virginia and brought one back with her. Evidently, no one told her it wouldn’t grow here and plants never read our gardening books. (Grin )
It is the Japanese Ligustrum that has such a strong scent. Waxleaf privet is something a little different. Although, I’ve heard even nursery people call Japanese Ligustrum Waxleaf privet. All that fragrance is coming from only two large plants. There are quite a few variegated Chinese privet s here, but the scent of that is not so overwhelming. I’ll check out the inexpensive perfumes and I just noticed a lilac essential oil in one of my craft catalogs. I’ll have to settle for those until I get a whiff of the real thing. Amargia has some micro-climates because of the way we are tucked into the rolling hills. I may snag one of those lilacs of yours. Vickie. See if I can get one to grow here too.
Jim says if Bonnie is going to put large numbers of teenagers on Gulf Coast beaches, the military better be on the scene!!! It will be like Spring Break on overdrive! LOL.
Jim showed me a timber bamboo shoot he swears was not there when he mowed a week ago. It is twelve feet tall. We had better start thinking about how we are going to use our bamboo as building material. Kay*