Photo by Melody

Accessible Gardening: Practical Matters for Physically Challenged Gardeners , 1 by Amargia

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Amargia

In reply to: Practical Matters for Physically Challenged Gardeners

Forum: Accessible Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Practical Matters for Physically Challenged Gardeners
Amargia wrote:
Hello again, Everyone. Remember me? LOL. As IO1 always put it, sorry to have been MIA so long. Good to meet you, Dave. I’m Kay. Welcome to the thread.
My computer was hijacked by a four-year-old computer geek who thinks he can’t survive long without his online games. Jim got an old computer system we had around working well enough to handle Curious George and other PBS online kid’s games. (I was really beginning to resent that monkey!) I finally got my system back. I’ve moved my computer to my bedroom and cleaned all the Gummy Bear goo off the keyboard. The house is a mess. I have no doubt there is Gummy Bear goo, jellybean sticky and chocolate bunny remains elsewhere I should be cleaning up, but I’ve decided to celebrate getting my computer back by spending a little time on DG.
We are expecting a record afternoon high of 89 or 90 today. I’ve skipped over more Spring planting and gone to Summer stuff. Tomatoes and squash are growing well. We may return to temps more typical for April soon, but I don’t think the swing will be so extreme the summer plants will suffer. .
With your breathing problems, Vickie, you might want to pack a safety mask for your trip south. The pollen count is extremely high. I’ve never seen it this extreme. It is now a common sight to see people wearing painter’s mask while out walking their dogs and the like. Hope it isn’t quite so bad in N. Mississippi. Sounds like a fun trip! My pet tomato, Romeo, is doing well in the topsy-turvy planter. How is his namesake? LOL.
We are moving raised planters around in the w/c garden to better utilize the space. We want to get more table type planters in. (They seem to be most people’s favorite type of raised planter. I also want to incorporate a fire pit into the shady west corner. You haven’t missed much. Mostly, we’ve been working on the boring, but necessary task of leveling ground and pouring concrete. We are still managing to move forward. Just moving at a slower pace with children here. Of course, the children’s garden areas have been bumped up in priority. Still running with Scraps original idea for one of the children’s areas. An outdoor “house” furnished with cast off appliances and household fixtures. Every “room"”sprouting fun and colorful plants. Shrubs and tall perennials make the “walls.”
Bridal Wreath Spireas, Dogwoods and the ‘Pride of Mobile’ Azaleas are the showiest thing in the garden at the moment, but it was the blooming rosemary that caught Jim’s eye when he was out in the garden with his camera. Hope everyone is having a blessed day. Kay*