Photo by Melody

Weather: Any other volunteer observers for NWS and CoCoRaHS?, 1 by ledgegardener

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright ledgegardener

In reply to: Any other volunteer observers for NWS and CoCoRaHS?

Forum: Weather

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Any other volunteer observers for NWS and CoCoRaHS?
ledgegardener wrote:
So far it has been an easy winter, Mid December to mid January we had a couple of snow storms that seems to last 3 days each (see picture below) - and the only precipitation since then was a heavy rain storm when the mid Atlantic got their 30 inches. Not quite mid March yet and the ground is bare now, only a little left in the deeply shady spots in the woods. We are not out of the woods yet as far as snow. The year before last the heaviest snow storm 18 inches came in mid April!

I knew I should have put supports on under the greenhouse roof, and I had it on the weekend to-do list, but I finished stacking the wood on a Wednesday afternoon and the snow came in the night on a Friday. I was out there in horizontal blowing snow cleaning off the roof off and the wind was blowing in the 40 to 50 mph range. That would have been fine, but it turned to a heavy wet snow and then to rain, and by light in the morning the roof was down. It is recoverable though and I am the wise for it. I like weather - it is a challenge, although I no longer think it is fun to drive in bad weather. Had a "simple car accident" while doing some winter driving for work - went off the road with a jolt and ended up with a spinal fusion. I have to pace myself too .... but it is better for me to keep moving - just the correct pacing is a challenge.

So Sunfarm - you take care of yourself!

I tried the digital modem - but because I an in "extended coverage area" it was just as slow as dial up. Internet access is a big problem here. New tower going up in Lamoine, that might make a difference.

The picture is on the snow on the wood pile in early January - the corner of the greenhouse is in the picture.