Photo by Melody

Weather: Any other volunteer observers for NWS and CoCoRaHS?, 1 by ledgegardener

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright ledgegardener

In reply to: Any other volunteer observers for NWS and CoCoRaHS?

Forum: Weather

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Any other volunteer observers for NWS and CoCoRaHS?
ledgegardener wrote:
Hey keep up the good work with the daily reports! I miss once in a while, but not too often. When I do it is because of a lack of internet connection: - 1 - from heavy precipitation or ; 2 - Wild Blue slows my connection speed to 127 K for over use of bandwidth. Only way to get anything better than dial up here is with satellite.

This was my first winter with a hoop house. Had a total collapse in first snow! But got it to go back up after having to slice the plastic to let the snow and ice drain inside. A neighbor put in a temporary ridge pole and I got some 2 x 4 's underneath to hold up the roof. It has worked - so far. Yesterday I harvested the first little bit of lettuce, enough for a salad. Wonderful to have fresh greens from my garden at this time of year. I did learn that one has to find a way to keep moles / voles or whatever little critter it is from eating the greens. A plastic milk jug pushed into the ground works well.

I hope you like the books - The Garden Primer is my favorite garden reference - chatty and filled with info. The Four Season Harvest - well that is where I got the idea for this little green house adventure. It would work even better down south where you are. Can be done on the cheap too. Had plans with pics from the internet. Barbara Damrosh and Eliot Coleman live on the on Cape Rosier on the other side of Penobscot Bay - maybe 30 miles as the eagle flies. Took a drive over to their Four Season Farm last fall, with the summer neighbors - but they were closed. Will go again this summer. Enjoy the books. Pic is of the buried greenhouse (after something of a recovery from the collapse.)