Fruits and Nuts: A fig question , 1 by pbyrley

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright pbyrley

In reply to: A fig question

Forum: Fruits and Nuts

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of A fig question
pbyrley wrote:
Wow Terri, what a wealth of information! As always there are some dissenting opinions which may be more due to location than anything. I have had no mosaic virus outbreak and I doubt you would have a problem as it's drier near Dallas. (In Houston area there could be some more chance of an outbreak). As I have never had it, I apparently shouldn't talk about it. I had a Celeste in Maitland (Orlando) FL that grew ok in a shaded area, but figs definitely do much better in the sun.

I think you will be happy with your pick of figs. The Vern's brown turkey from One Green World will probably be really good and I certainly "approve" of Celeste and Black Mission.

I've never had bird problems but other places they will eat some figs. I guess a swarm of starlings would eat them all. Mesh netting is pretty cheap and easy to drape over the trees to keep birds away from your fruit - plums, peaches ... or figs. I've read that the dark colored (purple, black) attract birds' attention much more than the green and yellow varieties (plug for LSU Gold). I am putting a pic of my first (and only so far) LSU Gold fig below.