Photo by Melody

Ohio River Valley Gardening: ORVG COFFEE HOUSE # 162 Fall has Arrived, 1 by gardenwife

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright gardenwife

In reply to: ORVG COFFEE HOUSE # 162 Fall has Arrived

Forum: Ohio River Valley Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of ORVG COFFEE HOUSE # 162 Fall has Arrived
gardenwife wrote:
Pauletta, sorry to hear about the lymphedema. I know that is a concern for cancer survivors, especially women who have had mastectomies; it can develop in the arms with them. I read an article about it to learn more and thought you might benefit from it. http://www.thedoctorwillseeyounow.com/articles/womens_health... Are you getting the massage in conjunction with the compression?

Jules, glad Josie doesn't have the nasties back. I hope Pebbles and her both get over it quickly. We'll hold off on getting together - no desire for the splats here, thanks. ;)

Ric, the greenhouse is going to be awesome! Do you remember how my nicotiana planted below the ventilation system's vent stayed green all winter and bloomed in April? http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/410598/ This year I'm finally getting around to seeing if I can harness that energy.

We now have my mini greenhouse in front of the vent and I cut a flap cut in the plastic to allow the warm air from the vent into the greenhouse. It's also against a brick wall that gets sun from morning until around 2pm, so there is that retained heat. I have a homemade earthbox (HEB) with six pepper plants taking up the bottom portion of the greenhouse and two pots of habanero peppers in the top. The bell peppers have so many fruit developing on them still, and so many blooms, I just couldn't let them freeze.

The greenhouse has some tears near the peak, and I figure I'll leave them in there for ventilation. My main concern is keeping the roots from freezing as well as the water in the reservoir from doing so. I might divert the air from its present height down to the bottom so the HEB's reservoir gets the warm air blown right on it. Residual heat would then rise and keep the foliage happy, along with the potted peppers up top. What do you think?

Eventually, I would LOVE to build a greenhouse along that part of the house. It's the perfect location, especially when there is warm air exiting the basement and being wasted. It would have to be beneath our bedroom window, though, so height would be limited.

Here's a picture:

This message was edited Oct 2, 2009 12:10 PM