Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Central Midwest Gardening: Fall RU 09-Plant swap, 1 by shortleaf

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright shortleaf

In reply to: Fall RU 09-Plant swap

Forum: Central Midwest Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Fall RU 09-Plant swap
shortleaf wrote:
I went to Hill Park today and got about 3 sandwich bags full of Bur Oak acorns.
The photo to them will be in the link below, they are on the hood of my red truck.
I don't know if you like the caps on them, they come right off, if the acorn don't come
out with a little persuasion, the cap can be broke away, it don't harm the acorn.
I can get White Oak acorns too they are about 2/3s the size as Bur Oak acorns, they don't have a cap,
of the acorns I can get only Bur Oak acorns have a big cap. I can also get the dime-sized Pin Oak acorns, here
in the yard. I'll update the spreadsheet in a few days, I'm gonna try to get more seeds this weekend.

I think they tore away that low bridge, concrete roadway that was over the creek at Hill Park. In the photos you can see its gone. Heres that same view today of the big Bur Oak tree. I guess the Beach volleyball wasn't a hit! lol -
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v243/w4i0a/Hill_Park9_09/

Bristol eh? Bristol was like every West Independence kid's dream grade school, it was like the Buckingham palace
of public grade schools over there! : ) Bristol was like paradise! That divided street leading up to it was
like the yellow brick road! lol I think that building is still there, I always liked that elevated walkway by it.
Bristol is still in Independence, I was bussed to Melcher grade school on Chelsea (off of Van Brunt) in KCMO
for 5th and 6th grade. The years before that I was in the Independence school district and then to Arkansas
for 2 years then back to the same Indep. school district then thats when I went to KC schools for over 4 years
then high school at Fort Osage H.S. I went to Nowlin Jr. High too! I would've went to Van Horn but we moved to East Independence where I went to Fort Osage H.S. I went to several schools as a kid because of moving several times. But Nowlin Jr High and Van Horn H.S. are 2 of the 7 or so schools that are now
in the Independence school district, I felt so good for those kids because it doesn't accomplish anything to bus them to Kansas City besides give them bad experiences and memories.
You and me weren't far apart growing up.
I was a mile or two North in the area between Fairmount and Maywood. My old time drug stores were Fairmount Drug store and B&B Super Drug in Maywood. We used to ride our bikes to that last one sometimes and get a real soda.
It sounds like you were closer to Englewood.
Although, our stomping grounds were pretty similar it sounds like.
It is a small world! I joke about Bristol happ, really, its nice to talk to somebody that grew up over here! : )
Will