Photo by Melody

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: Bromeliads: for novices and serious addicts #3, 1 by LeisaD

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright LeisaD

In reply to: Bromeliads: for novices and serious addicts #3

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Bromeliads: for novices and serious addicts #3
LeisaD wrote:
Whewww there's so much to catch up on above!
Mike your friend's brom "house" looks fantabulous - I love the corrugated iron & wooden door - does it go somewhere?
Your setup looks very professional & organized. You & Sue are birds of a feather! I've been out this afternoon doing some separating & repotting etc. Your hanging baskets with all the lovely colour have inspired me to keep a few clumps together. I've only got a limited area for hanging baskets, but I'm going to use to full capacity. My hanging geraniums may have to goes elsewhere... Thanks also for the hint re Ae cylindrata - yes it's very close.
Pretty flower Colleen. Sorry I don't know the name of the red/orange Guzmania, but It's really glowing at the moment. I took some pics, but the colour doesn't really come up correctly. I like it as the flower spike rise well up above the rest of the plant - a real show off. The weak applications of Thrive flower & fruit every few weeks earlier in the year, plus plenty of tank water certainly seem to have done the trick with this Guzmania!
Sue the plans for you shade house make it look so easy. I'm so tempted, but hubby would crack a fit!! I'm contemplating extending one of my garden beds & putting in a "rockery" that would suit my broms. I would try to sell it to hubby as him having less area to mow :-p Wish me luck!
Does anyone know how to care for orthophytums? I was given one (probably Iron Ore), but It looks a bit limp & sad. Does it need to be kept a bit moist (rather than dry)?
Here's a pic of my best sunny spot for broms at the moment, so I've got lots of things all bunched up here. It'll get too hot later in the year, so I'll have to reorganized it again then, but hey that's 1/2 the fun ;-)