Clematis: A new way to look at clems, 1 by BlissfulGarden

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright BlissfulGarden

Subject: A new way to look at clems

Forum: Clematis

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of A new way to look at clems
BlissfulGarden wrote:
Many times, we've seen photos of gorgeous clems standing as crowning pieces of a garden, solitary in their beauty. They have their own dedicated support and their bases are clear of clutter or other plants. They look grand. We wish we could have something like that in our own garden, but sadly, we believe there is no space. I believed this thinking for a long time, and it prevented me from exploring the clem world for quite a while. I thought my garden, and my budget, were too small to have a worthy clem display. But, there is a hybridizer who is working hard to change that way of thinking. He has done book tours and he has hosted radio programs throughout the U.S. in an effort to dispel the myths that gorgeous clem displays are just for the lucky few who have grand gardens.

Here is an interview with that hybridizer, Raymond Evison, regarding his philosophy on planting and caring for clematis. For me, Evison's work has inspired me to change my way of thinking about clems. Sure, I still admire the large specimin plants that I see in pictures, but for me, I am much happier with the more intimate, personal feel of a well-loved small garden that engulfs you in beauty. The interview has some extremely helpful information that might surprise you... such as planting other plant material right with your clematis rather than leaving a space around the base. There's also specific information related to container growing. Click on the YouTube link and then press the arrow in the center of the screen if you'd like to view it:

http://www.youtube.com/v/ZFY4yqBJQas

Enjoy! Evey =)

Note: Pic is a potted Ruutel peeking through a mandevilla.