Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Central Midwest Gardening: Fall RU 09-Plant swap, 1 by AuntB

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright AuntB

In reply to: Fall RU 09-Plant swap

Forum: Central Midwest Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Fall RU 09-Plant swap
AuntB wrote:
I'm really liking your willows, Will.. I dream of having a "big" pond, (not farm pond big, although that would be NICE) I just have a 1/2 whiskey barrel and an old rusted out oblong horse tank, but when my "in-ground big pond" dream becomes reality, I could plant a willow around it..
I need to get some kind of apparatus for moving big pots... right now it's the 20 yr old and a few of his friends (they don't require monetary reimbursement) ... I figure I've "paid" them many times over. lol Seriously, Great Deal, Happ! The variegated plant w/blooming trumpets is Brugmansia, (Angel trumpet) Maya or Sunset as I've learned is the same as a Maya.. She's had blooms since June this year.. barely stopping between flushes...even blooms in the basement thru winter.. (so refreshing when the snow is blowing and winds are howling) but..

WARNING: Brugmansia can be the major factor in suffering zone denial... causes people in (actual) zones 5 and below to fill their basements, spare bedrooms, not so spare bedrooms and garages with plants in winter. Also can cause back pain.. ;) I'll bring some to the RU. Joyce, I have an Antique Lace rooted for you.. do you need Monster White? I was admiring a pretty white bloom last night..

I know some year the nanner won't "work out" for me, but I'll cross that bridge then... it has brought me much enjoyment and education.. and I've met a guy in Lawrence with a HUGE greenhouse..I could give it to him... Unless Happ wants it.. I've had a saga for about 7 years, it was really late getting started this year.. I thought I'd lost it... but low and behold after I sat it aside (to reuse its pot) and gave up on watering it, the new branches/fronds started uncurling.. (shame on me, thinking it was dead) It is so neat looking when it puts out new growth.

So Will, I'd like to try some Baldcypress seeds... I LOVE those trees. I'll bring my box of all kinds of seeds and I know Deb has (at least) 4 times the seed collection I have and she is one sharing caring lady! Oh, it's so exciting preparing for the RU!

Hibiscus Snow Queen- (I love variegation) the blooms hang down, so I "posed" one.. and yes it IS tropical...Joyce, want one? Deb? I clipped some tips a couple weeks ago...hope they rooted.