Image Copyright penth2o

In reply to: This is where I'm at

Forum: Michigan Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of This is where I'm at
penth2o wrote:
Thanks folks,

Kristopher,
I'm looking forward to what becomes of it also. Something better come out of it other than deer food. Do they still have the dealer car auctions down in Jenison? I use to go with a friend of mine and buy vehicles at the dealers auction in the 70's.

Brenda,
Thanks for the wise advice. I think the foot & half of wood chips actually make it easier weeding the few weeds that do come up. It's like the roots run at the surface and they pull like butter (except the oak seedlings).

I'm finding out that I do love this gardening thing. I can't believe I'm saying this... Five years ago my friends would crack me in the head talking like this. I put earphones in my head and find it very relaxing & satisfiying. I think it is too late for overdoing the beds and creating work. I just started the front yard and have not even thought about the back which is a lot bigger and more ideas than the front.

I may have to get some help down the road as I can see what your talking about with the time spent. Know any single gardeners ;} :}

Michelle,
I looked at your blog thing. All I can say is WOW. That's it just WOW.
Your in my old playground. I still go there quite often. I use to know a woman that had a fantastic herb garden that she ran a shop out of. Just beautiful it was. Your parents probably know who I'm talking about.

Vicky,
I hope your right on that sleep, creep, leap thing. Although I hope I'm not always changing things. I was wondering why some of my friends were always tearing up their yards & beds having me come dig stuff out.

About the deer thing. I really wanted to try gardening and they ate a lot of money the first time around. I got obsessed with trying to get rid of those S.O.B's. I'm not proud but yes I have done all those things you were asking about if I did them or not. What I didn't add was that I got in trouble with the law and was given a break from a Judge friend. I still can't possese a hunting liscense for 10 years. I don't hunt anyways. I just want them gone. Don't want to go into details but something about building home made claymore mines with the intent to harm deer...........
That is history. I'm better now :} I now spray liquid fence and am trying to find a way to garden and live with the deer. I get them truck loads of corn & apples, beets and whatever my farmer friends grow and put it way in the woods hopeing they will stay away.

I couldn't sleep last night so I set up my generator & lights and whacked some trees in the woods for poles and dug a bunch of holes and mixed some good soil for shrubs to line the driveway. When daylight hit I went and purchased some 8 ft deer fencing along with some shrubs and started a fence to keep them out as I want these to get a decent start. Here is what I have done as of 8:40 tonight. You can see the deer eaten forsynthia's from my last attempt. It is hard to see the fencing. It is 147 ft so it is taken some time plus I have to do both sides.
I will finish it tomorrow if I get out of work & I can still stand. I'm tired and fried and rambling so goodnight folks.
nt