Photo by Melody

Shade Gardening: Suggestions for deep shade under cedar and fir trees, 1 by growin

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright growin

In reply to: Suggestions for deep shade under cedar and fir trees

Forum: Shade Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Suggestions for deep shade under cedar and fir trees
growin wrote:
You could probably find the Orixa & Illicium at Colvos Creek Nursery where I got mine. Weerobin - the one special thing about Orixa that I found out is that it's tough as nails. The plant at Seattle Arboretum is in a full shade location with lots of tree roots. Here's a pic of my front garden and actually the Sambucus nigra Aureomarginata is doing fantastic and I think it might do well in an even tougher spot. The roots go right under the rock wall and fill in the front garden. Most of this garden gets zero sun. Most of it was trial and error and I realized the right side is contaminated from a fire in the apartment building next door from 1927. They must have shoved all the debris off the top and when the neighbour suggested this, I started amending the soil and found lots of burned stuff and melted glass. The Ginkgo does well there and you can see the difference in the cedars as they were all planted at the same time. I love Oxalis oreganum but look for the pink form. Keep it in check as it can take over. The one thing that I forgot is that the hardy geraniums seem to do pretty good in a bit of sun.