Photo by Melody

Beginner Gardening: What's growing on my Night Blooming Jasmine?, 1 by MacFL

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright MacFL

In reply to: What's growing on my Night Blooming Jasmine?

Forum: Beginner Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of What's growing on my Night Blooming Jasmine?
MacFL wrote:
Babeegirl: Thanks for the product referral. I will look into it immediately.

Naturelover1950: Yes, I tried to clean off the spots, but the leaf is dry and brittle. The area ripped off with rubbing, so it's nothing I can clean off. I removed the leaf I tried to clean altogether and looked at it very closely with a magnifying glass. It's a dry, shriveled area of the leaf. In addition, upon further inspection today, I notice about half the tips of the leaves getting dry and brittle also despite the pot having adequately wet soil and pea gravel at the bottom for drainage. I have attached a macro shot of the tip of one of the leaves. Please take a look.

I gave the plant filtered sunlight by a window today for the first time since rescuing it from its last near death experience from direct south FL sun. About 3 hours of morning sunlight and 3 hours of afternoon sunlight, all through a window.

I am at a loss here.... thanks for the suggestions. I will start looking for Super Thrive to see if it can rescue this plant before it dies.

Does the soil mix I used sound okay? 50/50? I am very new at gardening and landscaping with plants, so I am flailing along here with what I learn on the internet which it seems everyone has a different way of growing things and tricks. I WILL find my green thumb if it requires me obtaining a Horticulture degree.

The most bizarre thing is, is that this thing seems to grow best under a 150 watt equivalent Compact Flourescent Lamp (CFL) (AKA Ecobulb) that you would use to transition from incandescent to CFL table lamp bulbs. (It's the new fluorescent bulbs that look like a spiral neon light tube in white that are better for the environment). Problem is, I HAVE to transition this plant to outdoor life and I don't want to make it dependent upon this type of light to grow. Is this possible?

So bizarre... thanks to both of you regardless for your suggestions!

Hang in there Babeegirl... spring IS coming. :)

Mac