Mid-Atlantic Gardening: Spring peeking Vol. 2, 1 by Gitagal

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Gitagal

In reply to: Spring peeking Vol. 2

Forum: Mid-Atlantic Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Spring peeking Vol. 2
Gitagal wrote:
Now--I have a serious question. This is a "Monkshood" plant. (Aconitum cammarum sparkianum).
EVERY Spring--it comes up great--and it seems to have spread and is doing OK.

It grows and grows--but it never blooms until VERY late in the fall--and by then the plant's spikes are all yuk and browning and all that....lucky if I see one of them bloom!
I just read in one of my books on perennials, that it is supposed to bloom late Summer to fall.....I do not know why mine is always deteriorating as the season goes on. ?????

Here are the "stats".....
--This bed is a bit on the moist side
--It gets some early sun--but then mostly bright shade the rest of the day. It does face kind of South, but the trees and my tall evergreens at the back of the yard shade it a bit too much.

I have always thought of moving it to a better draining and a bit sunnier bed--but in the book I read today--it says that Monkshood suffers "SEVERELY" if moved!
I have now had this plant here for many years--and I have yet to see it bloom worth diddly!
Looking at how much new growth there is in the Spring--and thinking that each cluster would send up a stalk, and bloom, would just make me so happy! WHY does it deteriorate as the Season goes into Fall and all that????

I will post this on the perennials Forum as well and see what anyone has to say there

Here is what it looks like now--ALL full of promise......EVERY Spring--I see that it has spread and is doing OK! So--what is wrong???????????????

Thanks, Gita