Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Clematis: American Clematis Society, 1 by ClematisGuru

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright ClematisGuru

Subject: American Clematis Society

Forum: Clematis

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of American Clematis Society
ClematisGuru wrote:
don't know if any of you are members of the American Clematis Society......there is a quarterly newletter, now sent electronically vs snail mail. i have enjoyed being a member and feel it to be a good cause.
anyway the newsletter just came out and apparently polish spirit is now thought to be of the jackmanii family not the vitacella group. apparently polish spirit is prone to wilt and this is a trait it gets from jackmanii in the background.
polish spirit has never wilted for me, i use it when i want to fill in somewhere with vigorous foliage in year two. some folks consider it to vigorous, maybe that is in the warmer zones without a hard dormant period. i keep it under control with pruning. i like the vigor and as the plant matures the blooms get bigger every year for me.
of interest jackmanii does wilt on me, and come back and has never been as vigorous for me as it is for others. i do have it and a couple other of the jackmanii family. (jackmanii alba, jackmanii suberba)
all 3 of the types i have are prone to wilt, but i just whack off and they come back in their time..anywhere from a month to a season later.
thought this was interesting, and i would pass it on. if everybody on the forum is an ACS member sorry to post redundant info. the ACS is recommending Etoile Violette be planted vs polish spirit in the quest to banish wilt. i love them both!!!! here is etoile v from last year in my garden.