Photo by Melody

Rural Gardening: Help! Baby geese or ducks?!, 1 by duckmother

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright duckmother

In reply to: Help! Baby geese or ducks?!

Forum: Rural Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Help!  Baby geese or ducks?!
duckmother wrote:
Great information, everyone.

Some ducks do lay year round. Campbells lay almost as much as chickens (up to 300+/year for up to 7 years.) As a matter of fact, some farmers are beginning to replace chickens with ducks, just for eggs. Ducks do not have to be medicated, are rarely sick and a few breeds can live many years (Campbells can live up to 20+) However, many domestics make terrible Moms (especially Campbells) The brooding instinct is all but gone. They will make a nest, sit in it for a few days, lay an egg or two and then they get bored a walk away. Most people use Muscovy females to hatch ducklings because they are excellent Moms!

You will find that each duckling has its own personality. I have had ducks that will stay in the water all day, but I have had some that hate the water and only get in to bathe and/or get a drink. Some love to snuggle and others will run when you get too close. The same goes for their like or dislike or certain fruits, veggies and other proteins (like worms). Most of my ducks will fight over slugs, crickets and watermelon. However, Eliza Ducklittle does not like any of that. She loves mealworms! So, don't get discouraged if they all do not like something that you just paid good money for. ;o))

This is Khaki Quackie. She is a Khaki Campbell