Georgia Gardening: what are these weeds?, 1 by MaypopLaurel

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright MaypopLaurel

In reply to: what are these weeds?

Forum: Georgia Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of what are these weeds?
MaypopLaurel wrote:
Spider, there is an invasive shrub/tree that is very similar to Eastern redbud. Yours appears to be that (though I don't know the name). I have problems with it in Atlanta too, especially in borders and beds. The biggest is having mistaken it for redbud. We have had to cut and spray it out. It is much faster growing than redbud and has a larger leaf. The other one that's driving me nuts is Paulownia. Many of these plants are recent introductions that have become invasive and controversial.

I don't know the second one, but the third is Campsis, as LariAnn said. I ordered it from Burpee years ago to grow out by the garden shed. It is highly invasive and will send underground runners deep and far from its source. It is not native to woodlands. Seeds easily as well. I'd spray it. I'm recommending you take drastic action because it's near impossible to get the roots out intact. We tilled some up in the garden and the broken roots are popping up with new vines everywhere. I've battled with it all summer. It's as bad as wisteria gone rampant and strangles trees the same way. Beautiful though if you have a spot where you can keep an eye on it.
Laurel