Photo by Melody

Michigan Gardening: Are you tired of the heat yet??, 1 by Loon

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Loon

In reply to: Are you tired of the heat yet??

Forum: Michigan Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Are you tired of the heat yet??
Loon wrote:
We didn't get any rain yesterday. Early this morning we got a little shower but it looks to be all over. A little drink is better than none at all. At least the heat is gone and the humidity with it.

AuGres started a mosquito spray program a couple years ago and it has made a huge difference in the amount of mosquitos we get. They do aerial spraying and they also come during the night to spray the ditches in the spring. I mow the 8 acres around our house and that really helps keep the bugs down. Hubby and I sat out on the deck last evening till dark and never got bit at all. We live about half a mile from the lake though. I think those who live closer to the water have more bugs.

We were hoping to get the fruit trees sprayed today. Will wait a few hours for it to clear up. They were supposed to get it on the 15th and we just got busy doing other things.

Sarv, I'm sorry the deer are eating your veggies. Have you tried spraying them with Liquid Fence? It's all natural and made of rotten eggs. Won't hurt your veggies but will deter the deer from eating them. You need to spray about every three weeks. We put an 8 foot fence around our veggie garden. I was just tired of fighting them. We picked a huge mess of green beans yesterday and a huge head of cabbage along with some green peppers and onions. I made a good cabbage cassarole and some sauteed garlic green beans for supper. YUM! I just love eating from the garden. I have a bunch of yellow zuchinni to do something with today. I think I'll look up some new recipes. Still waiting for a red tomato. Won't be long. We have about a million green ones. :) Oh, we have baby brussel sprouts too. They are so good sauteed in a little butter and broth.

Have a great rest of the weekend everyone. We've had the grandbaby the last two days. Having a blast with her and watching her eat little raspberries off the bush was priceless. The look on her face! Love it. She had fun playing in the little pool too.

Brenda