Are you tired of the heat yet??

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

I am. How hot is it around your home towns?? Of course I love summer and the flowers. But the muggieness can go away!!! It has been 90 degrees around here for the past week. We got a really quick storm on wed. night when we were enjoying the music in the park. (Kalamazoo Symphony Orchestra). They were on able to play three song and then had to tear down in the rain!!! We felt so bad. We had to walk home in the rain and thunder. Then our back door would not open and we had to break in the front door. Now that was an adventure!!! I really do not think we couldve been any wetter!!! Oh well. Have a great weekend. Ronna

(bestest fairy)Tempe, MI(Zone 5b)

Ronna same here and why the central part of MI is supposed to get storms and a cool down-not us:(

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

heck NO!!! i waited all fall and winter and spring...........i wish it would last till nov!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
im luving it!!!! been in the pool where the water is 84/86 and its great

never ever sick of it and will never complain about it!!!! send it all my way

Hey now Dori-not all of us are blessed enough to have the cement pond!!LOL

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

here is a pic of my grandson in Vegas-his name is Hunter!!
this is Teig's rental house.....wish i was there.....105/107

Thumbnail by notmartha

ugh-not me-when we lived in AZ for 7 yrs-I thought I would melt!!

BTW-HELLO STRANGER-long time no talk:) I stop by Connies about once a week though:)

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

like the heat hate the humidity ;0( I love summer though ;0)
Dori next year save 4 maters for me I just knew I should have got some from you and pitched the ones I got!!!!
Gloria

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

We are suppose to get the rain here today. Sat. We have our Plainwell days this weekend and thats why its raining. Oh well can't control the weather. Dori all the heat from my house is coming your way. You can have it. Thank God for room air cond. Or we would not be able to sleep!!! It is suppose to cool down a little. :) Anything would be great. I know the flowers are loving it!!! This is my clematis, Rooguchii its a shade loving clematis. I have really enjoyed these plants so much. There are three here. The flowers are so delicate. There are many buds still on these vines waiting to open. :) Ronna

Thumbnail by gardenlady123
Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

no airconditioning in this old farm house-just windows open at nite and close them in the morning!!!!

im luving it

heading to the carshow...........

Thank you sooo much for the info that rooguchi likes shade-I will be adding it next year-have been wanting it forever and it will be mine next year!!LOL Otherwise it would be in full sun just like all my other ones:)

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

I'm not fond of anything over 90 degrees especially if it comes with high humidity. Makes it hard to breathe and zaps my energy. Makes me lethargic and I don't want to leave the air conditioning in the house. I haven't even been down to the veggie garden in days. I need to go pick the raspberries and check on things. The flowers look great but I have to water all those containers. They dry out so fast in the heat. I'm sure the peppers and maters are happy with the heat.

I'll be glad when the humidity leaves. Hope we get some rain soon. I didn't mow this week. Decided to let the grass shade itself from the extreme heat. Saw a couple of young fawns chasing each other in the field the other day. So cute. Went to the fair in Standish yesterday. Walked around with the grandbaby and let her see all the farm animals. Hubby rode the carolsel with her. Not sure who was having more fun. :)

Stay cool everyone!

Brenda

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

I haer you Brenda I do not like all the humidity either. Makes me so tired. But at work you have to work. TGF air cond. their!!! We are getting a very nice rain here right now. Been raining for a couple of hours now. We needed it bad! My son is on his way home for three weeks from the Army base in Georgia. Then he will be deployed in the middle of August. But we will have a nice visit while he is home. Can't wait to see him. Its been almost 6 mos. since hes been home. Have a great weekend Ronna

south of Grand Rapid, MI(Zone 5a)

Love the hot weather...hate the humidity...We decided to mow the grass last night...good thing too as it has been raining all day here! Gardens need it so I won't complain other than to say I wish I would just rain at night!!

Deer are raising havoc with our tomatoes and beans. They have chewed them down to nubs. Last night I ended up putting sheets over half the row of tomaotes...nothing eaten!! We've never been bothered this much!! It is one lone deer...he/she wanders right across our yard...taking its own sweet time. Not scared of a darn thing.

can you all send some rain down to me please-my gardens need it and I am too poor to run the sprinklers:)

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Just cast your spell Fairy.... LOL. I wish I could lasso a cloud for you. I actually got to take the dog for a walk he was so happy. Boy the misquitos!!! Enough said about that! It was a great rain all day. No thunder or lightening. Have a great weekend, Ronna

La Salle, MI(Zone 5b)

No need to lasso a cloud for fairy gardenlady123, we got plenty of rain this afternoon and this evening ^_^ A nice steady flow and I know all my babies are enjoying it :o)

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Oh good!! It just stopped raining here. It rained all day, morning to around 5:30 pm. The plants are so happy.. Everything is green. Wow what a difference. The skeeters are really out and thirsty! Yuck. One thing I do not like a bout summer. But who does?

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

No rain here guess we got ours the first of the week!!!!
Gloria

I didn't get rain all day-a lot of times Connie gets waht I don't-even though it is only a few miles-I got a hard rain, and about 2 20 min stints of rain and a lot of mist-that's it:( Darn it Connie-no fair-share!!

La Salle, MI(Zone 5b)

Stacey sounds like you got the same as us, a hard straight down rain then a few 20/30 minute down pours and sprinkles here and there. But everything got watered good ^_^ It didn't rain here until in the afternoon tho.
Ken and I went to the Annual Southeastern Michigan Antique Tractor & Engine Show yesterday and it started sprinkling as we were leaving and by the time we got home it was a hard rain, that was about 1:30 / 2 pm

WEll, I just knew that sometimes we just get missed and you get it all-so I was hoping you were sharing this time:)

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

We didn't get any rain yesterday. Early this morning we got a little shower but it looks to be all over. A little drink is better than none at all. At least the heat is gone and the humidity with it.

AuGres started a mosquito spray program a couple years ago and it has made a huge difference in the amount of mosquitos we get. They do aerial spraying and they also come during the night to spray the ditches in the spring. I mow the 8 acres around our house and that really helps keep the bugs down. Hubby and I sat out on the deck last evening till dark and never got bit at all. We live about half a mile from the lake though. I think those who live closer to the water have more bugs.

We were hoping to get the fruit trees sprayed today. Will wait a few hours for it to clear up. They were supposed to get it on the 15th and we just got busy doing other things.

Sarv, I'm sorry the deer are eating your veggies. Have you tried spraying them with Liquid Fence? It's all natural and made of rotten eggs. Won't hurt your veggies but will deter the deer from eating them. You need to spray about every three weeks. We put an 8 foot fence around our veggie garden. I was just tired of fighting them. We picked a huge mess of green beans yesterday and a huge head of cabbage along with some green peppers and onions. I made a good cabbage cassarole and some sauteed garlic green beans for supper. YUM! I just love eating from the garden. I have a bunch of yellow zuchinni to do something with today. I think I'll look up some new recipes. Still waiting for a red tomato. Won't be long. We have about a million green ones. :) Oh, we have baby brussel sprouts too. They are so good sauteed in a little butter and broth.

Have a great rest of the weekend everyone. We've had the grandbaby the last two days. Having a blast with her and watching her eat little raspberries off the bush was priceless. The look on her face! Love it. She had fun playing in the little pool too.

Brenda

Thumbnail by Loon
Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Wow Brenda she is a doll!! Growing like a weed huh? We even got more rain early this morning. Not much more but enough to make the concrete a little wet. Now the sun is out and the fluffy clouds are moving in. Kinda nice out. Even nicer cause my Son made it home in fine time. 15 hrs of driving from Georgia and he made it safe!!! Great to see him. He looks wonderful. Very happy in the Army. This visit will be much to short. He has to leave on 8-09. But we will enjoy him all the same :) Im a happy mom. Ronna

Bay City, MI(Zone 5a)

HAHAHAHAHA, GEEZZZZZZZZZZZZ Dori, did you get a lil wet out at your pool today??? HUH, hee hee :p Dave started to cut the grass at the kitchen rd. house, then came the RAIN! Got a buyer tho :) I will be back here in BC this week, I will look for ya! Gloria, let me know the next time your here in BC? Everyone else have a wonderful HOT/COOL day :)

I just went out for about an hour to plant a couple things and weed B4 the rain gets here and I thought I was going to DIE!!!

If anyone wants a Diablo Ninebark-COME GET IT!! It is driving me nuts!! I have to trim it back by like 1/2 EVERY YEAR!! It grows like a weed!!!

Oh-and 4 rose bushes-I'm a chuckin them puppies too (not real sure about the ninebark-but it does drive me NUTS-I want a tidy small tree or bush there....)

I went to our local Fruit Basket and they told me Liquid Fence was not to be used on vegetables (only ornamentals) so I didn't buy any. I will have to go back and ask another clerk...grrr

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Oh I only wish I had enough sun to grow roses!!! I love the antique ones. Especially yellow... So pretty. It is warm here again today. The sun is so pretty. Very clear. Nice summer day, Ronna

I don't mind roses, we inherited them-but they are sucking the life from my clemaitis I have there-they apparntly take all the nutrients form the soil and I love my clems too much to let that happen:)

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

It was so muggy to day but I had to mow the yard any way and help the little mister burm up a flower bed thats been sliding down hill now to dig it out and replant it I see a lot of digging in my week end plans yukk not on the long range plans oh well it had to be done and I don't argue if the mood strikes him

Tootsie if your here come over this week end Saterday would be real good I have two shovels and I would love to see you!!!!!!!! ;0)
Gloria

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Muggy where you are? its been georgeous here. The mugginess has kinda left. This morning it was 59 degrees. Nice sleeping weather. Today high of 79- low eighties. Not bad! Really like the cooler nights.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

drenched again-2 bad storms days apart==this one i know is over 2in in a hour or so
sweet corn is down from the winds,mators blown over and lots in standing water
I want to move to VEGAS!!!!!!!!!!!!

send me some DRy HOT weather!!!

thundering as i type!!!!! grrrr........ i have pics of the mess!
sigh

Vegas is only DRY til July-July, Aug & Sept are hot and Humid-and you can't grow too many pretties and you can't water anything as there is always water bans and the ground cracks:( I think it is a case of the grass is always greener:) Be safe Dori:)

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Yes I seen the radar. Sure hope all is well for you folks.. We didn't get a drop here. today. But I put a new two foot border around my front garden. Boy it looks so nice. Now Im going to put some Golden Tiara hostas all around it!!! It will look so nice. Cant wait to get it done. I want to move some other plants around for it to look better in the front yard. Sometimes I move things just to be doing it!!! Any of you do that??? Hahahaha. Were all gardeners right? ;}. Dont we love it?

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Sarv, you were given wrong information. Liquid Fence is perfectly safe to use on your vegetable plants. Here is a snip from their website.

Liquid Fence Deer & Rabbit Repellent
Just Pump & Spray!
Product Number: Deer & Rabbit:310
Covers 1,500 Square Feet

America’s number-one selling deer and rabbit repellent is now available as the Just Pump & Spray! Combo Pack. A sturdy, refillable, easy-pump, 48 ounce pressure sprayer and 6 ounces of Liquid Fence® Deer & Rabbit Repellent concentrate, enough to make a generous 3 quarts of guaranteed effective repellent.

The simple up and down pumping action of the pressure sprayer makes it so easy to apply all natural Liquid Fence

Deer & Rabbit Repellent, anyone can do it! Great for people who suffer from arthritis or hand-muscle fatigue.

Just Pump & Spray! A super value AND a $5 mail-in rebate!!

All natural, long lasting Liquid Fence Deer & Rabbit Repellent will stop deer and rabbits from eating your flowers, shrubs, vegetable plants, trees and vines. And rest assured, it won’t harm your plants or animals! It’s so effective, we back it up with a written 100% money back guarantee.

Safe for your plants and family - Environmentally safe and biodegradable
Proven effective at repelling deer and rabbits - USDA field tested
Easy-to-use - Just spray and your problems go away
Long lasting and rain resistant - Finally, a hassle-free solution to deer and rabbit damage
Worry-free deer and rabbit protection - Family and pet friendly
Guaranteed - 100% Money-back Guarantee
Member tested and recommended by the National Home Gardening

http://www.liquidfence.com/pump-and-spray.html

~~~~~~~~~~

Dori, I'm sorry that you got flooded down there. I hope your plants recover. We sure have gotten a lot of rain this year. We got some rain but just a nice shower. No flooding. My ornamental garden is in a raised bed that drains well and the veggie garden is set up high between two ditches so it drains well also. If it wasn't then we'd have probably lost plants early on from standing water.

Gloria don't kill yourself doing all that digging. That is hard work. At least it won't be real hot for the hard work. Temps are really nice now.

I plan to put down some more mulch here and there. Too lazy to pull out the crabgrass or whatever it is so I'll just bury it with more mulch. :)

I put more green beans through the food saver and into the freezer. Probably have to go out and pick some more. WE had fried yellow squash last night and it was soooooo good. Still waiting for red tomatoes. You need warm nights for that and our nights have been cool in the upper 50's or low 60's.

Glad I got the fields mowed before all the rain. Grass was really long too.

Have a great day everyone!!

Brenda

Hey Loon...thanks for the info! You'd think someone who works at a garden center would know better. I'm going back in and see what they have to say for themselves....grrr Tell them they owe me a nice fat gift certificate...since I didn't put any liquid fence on (per their instructions) my gardens are a mess! Think they'll fall for it! LOL fat chance..

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

I'd give it a try. LOL

Liquid Fence is made out of putrified eggs and garlic and other things like that. It smells bad but won't hurt you. I'd try to spray the leaves and not the fruit if you can manage it although I think the smell would wash off so you can eat them. It works really well for me. You just have to respray every few weeks when the odor wears off.

Fighting the wildlife is my biggest challenge. We not only spray, we put fencing around everything. It's the only way we can keep the damage down to a minimum.

Good luck

Brenda

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

this was yesterdays rains 2in and 2/10ths in a hr and a half

Thumbnail by notmartha
Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

another

Thumbnail by notmartha
Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

my new bed i finished before the rains

Thumbnail by notmartha

Post a Reply to this Thread