Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Hummingbird and Butterfly Gardening: Passion Flowers and/or Maypops! Let's see yours?!?, 1 by tabasco

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright tabasco

Subject: Passion Flowers and/or Maypops! Let's see yours?!?

Forum: Hummingbird and Butterfly Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Passion Flowers and/or Maypops!  Let's see yours?!?
tabasco wrote:
Hi, all--

I just dropped into a short discussion on another thread about Passifloras and butterflies and thought someone out there on this forum with some passion flower experience can tell us how they work best for the BFs and others can show their vines and let us know how well the butterflies like them...and which ones use it as a host plant...

Here are some questions that come to my mind right now---

First of all, are all red ones toxic as a host plant? or are any red ones even toxic at all? or what's that all about? And any scientific evidence to suport this toxic assertion or is all info basically hear-say?!? (I saw a gorgeous pic of "Lady Margaret" and it looks red yet some say it's fine for BFs.)

And I just got my first common 'Maypop' (bluish) from a friend this summer and so far no butterflies seem interested. Others say they barely get theirs into the ground and it's deluged with visitors....what do I need to do? Anyone know? Is mine a lemon?

And mine's in a pot. Can I winter it over in the garage or just keep it outside? Zone 6a

Any thoughts, ideas, advice on Passiflora/passion flower/maypops and butterflies? Would love to hear it and see pics!

Thanks so much. t.