Wildlife: Heidi: Just Hanging Out, Kids In Nursery, 1 by DreamOfSpring

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright DreamOfSpring

Subject: Heidi: Just Hanging Out, Kids In Nursery

Forum: Wildlife

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Heidi: Just Hanging Out, Kids In Nursery
DreamOfSpring wrote:

This thread is a continuation of a group of threads the last one of which can be found here: http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/725222/

This is the story of Heidi. Heidi is a female raccoon whose summer home is in the forest behind my house. In spring she comes here to raise her babies where she knows she can always raid the bird feeder if necessary. In early Spring 06 she came down my back fence in daylight and pretty much refused to leave. At 1st I was afraid of her but in time she "tamed" me and we became friends. Last year I helped her feed her babies, and she allowed me the incredible opportunity to spend time with them and watch them grow and play and learn.

She is back now. Recently she gave birth to her 07 litter. For the next month or so they will be tucked safely away in their nursery. While we wait for their first field trip into the garden to learn to climb fences and raid feeders, we're just chatting about the daily antics of Heidi and the others. (The raccoon in the picture is actually Fraidy, a daughter from last year.)