Heidi: Just Hanging Out, Kids In Nursery

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

This thread is a continuation of a group of threads the last one of which can be found here: http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/725222/

This is the story of Heidi. Heidi is a female raccoon whose summer home is in the forest behind my house. In spring she comes here to raise her babies where she knows she can always raid the bird feeder if necessary. In early Spring 06 she came down my back fence in daylight and pretty much refused to leave. At 1st I was afraid of her but in time she "tamed" me and we became friends. Last year I helped her feed her babies, and she allowed me the incredible opportunity to spend time with them and watch them grow and play and learn.

She is back now. Recently she gave birth to her 07 litter. For the next month or so they will be tucked safely away in their nursery. While we wait for their first field trip into the garden to learn to climb fences and raid feeders, we're just chatting about the daily antics of Heidi and the others. (The raccoon in the picture is actually Fraidy, a daughter from last year.)

Thumbnail by DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Here is a photo of Heidi drinking from one of the 2 copper water basins which she owns. When water is scarce, no one is permitted to touch either basin. When I keep the water changed and filled daily, Heidi is more willing to share; however, she is still selective as to who will be permitted to use the basins and who will not. They are, after all, her basins.

Lyndonville, NY

When reading about the pool and that Heidi wouldn't leave, I had the image in my mind of a new mother....soaking in the tub and saying "just five minutes...give me five minutes of peace and quiet!" LOL

I just love it all!

Debbie

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Close up of Juliet. Note tongue showing.

Rosemont, ON(Zone 4a)

This is my favorite thread. Thank you for keeping it "dial-up friendly"!

On rainy days, when our flat-topped bird table fills up with water we often see a racoon sitting in it and happily fishing for submerged corn and seeds.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Debbie, LOL! That's a very good characterization of her! It was funny because she was standing almost dead center of the pool, turning her head from side to side to snarl at anyone who got near from any direction - determined to get that extra 5 minutes no matter whose butt she had to kick. LOL.

Last night I took the camera out with me. I wanted to get photos of the raccoons in the pool. I ended up scrapping the idea, however, because the initial period of prolonged fear of the strange purple thing used up all of the available daylight and because once they started investigating the pool I didn't want to risk frightening them with camera flashes bouncing off the water. I will definitely take some pics of them in the pool very soon. Just wanted to let them get used to it first.

I did try to grab this pic of Heidi in the lower end of the pool. With all the comotion I couldn't get the IR light to work so I was pointing the camera blindly. I was lucky to get this much of Heidi in the picture since I couldn't see what I was doing. The series of flashes caused her to hop out of the pool - for a second that is. That's when I decided to stop trying to take pics for the evening.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

June, Thank you for the wonderful compliment!

I have broadband so sometimes I may forget and let the threads grow a bit long. If ever you start having trouble connecting don't hesitate to let me know that it's time to start a new one.

Aren't they adorable when they are fishing? To think that I originally put the fruit in the pool to encourage them to get in it. LOL because that joke was on me. Also, in the beginning I only put one dog biscuit in there because I was afraid it would get soggy if no one wanted it. After they started fighting over the pool and its contents, I tossed all of the remaining grapes and dog biscuits in there. This morning when I went out to check, there wasn't anything but a few handfuls of sand left on the bottom of the pool. I keep forgetting that they LIKE their food submerged in water, soggy or not.

At one point last night I was tossing things into the pool from some 12ft or more away WHILE Fraidy was in the pool. Not only did the "kerplunk" of things falling into the pool around her not frighten her, she seemed even more excited at the sight of all those things "diving" into the pool with her, more stuff to fish out.

Here is Fraidy drinking from the tool shelf under the garden seat. This, of course, was taken the night before the pool appeared. Back then many times they would carry the dog biscuits over to the garden seat to dunk them.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Here is a picture of Heidi last night when she 1st came down ever so cautiously to eat her food not far away from the big, scarey, purple thing. You can see from her ears and face that she is on "High Alert".

Well, guys, I said I took the camera out and that I got photos. I didn't say they were Good photos. I don't know if it was me or the camera but we couldn't seem to get it together either night.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Friday night I took 2 quick videos of Fraidy eating peanuts beside me. It was still somewhat light out but getting dark fast. Even thought the 2nd clip was shot almost immediately after the 1st, you can see a major difference in how dark it is. The camera's "night vision" capabilities and fashes don't seem to work in video mode - that or else I don't know how to invoke them. Still, although they are a bit dark, I think they do a decent job of showing you what Fraidy is like and how she eats peanuts.

Also, note that she is only a scant foot to one side of my bench. She isn't accustomed to the camera, so she's a bit on edge, especially in the 1st clip. To get something more than the top of her head in the video, I had to hold the camera down and to one side of her which was all the more unsettling for her.

http://outdoors.webshots.com/video/3090462400015894510GrVQJT
http://outdoors.webshots.com/video/3063298710015894510TBkMFE

Lyndonville, NY

I love watching the little paws/feet reaching for the peanuts, and then looking up at you.

Sometimes she looks so fragile...with bone structure...but you know she could take care of herself now with the standing between her and Juliette. I think you have built up her confidence!

Debbie

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Debbie,

She is a tiny little thing, for sure. She reminds me very much of a small dog. At this point I don't think she'll ever get bigger, but as many a scrappy little dog will tell you, sometimes it's not the size of the animal that counts, but the size of the heart. Fraidy's like the lion in the Wizard of Oz. I'm trying to help her get a heart.

There is something almost magical about the way they handle things, the way they use their paws. I could watch them for hours. I think spending time with them has become an excellent method of stress-reduction for me. Oh, and just wait until I get a chance to film them fishing in the pool! At one point last night they had me actually sitting in my backyard in the dark laughing out loud - and to all appearances sitting out there alone laughing like a maniac. (Don't forget, if I don't post for a while you guys have check for me in the area institutions. This in case the neighbors report me for talking to and laughing at the forest every night.)

I can't wait for the chance to watch them play in the pool again tonight. I'm going to take the whole bag of apples out and put them in the pool.

Lyndonville, NY

I can just imagine the "pool ballet" going on with them all. And yes, they seem magical in their movements, very precise and graceful. I am sure being able to sit in a pool of cool water and work on their fishing skills was very good for them! Also without worry of a gator coming.

I will be very excited to see the pool play on video. I found myself trying to think of things healthy for them to eat that float. I also wonder if they sensed they needed to "wash" their grapes before eating them....and that was why they wouldn't eat them. I have seen them take their food to a stream to wash before eating. (nature shows, not in person)

Debbie

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Last night as I was trying to comprehend the incredible popularity of the pool - I mean I figured they would like it, but I just didn't know they would fight over it - I decided the pool had 2 things to offer that they can't really get anywhere else around here: shallow water that allows them to fish without swimming and, most of all, safety from aligators. With that I immediately pictured myself walking out the next morning to find a baby gator chilling in my little pool. I had to chuckle to myself. It's not very likely, but around here it's certainly possible.

The fact that it allows them to cool down might be another reason they like it. It's terribly hot here, so much so that while filling the pool I put the hose over my own head to drench and thus cool myself. It was 97F, higher due to humidity. Per the weather channel map the only place hotter yesterday was in New Mexico. It was hotter here than in FL or TX. I can't imagine wearing any kind of coat in this heat.

As for whether they felt the need to wash the grapes, I don't know, but in the past year they've eaten tons of stuff off the lawn, grapes included, without washing it. I got the impression that they had just gotten tired of both dog biscuits and grapes, both of which they used to love. I could be wrong but I think they like them better from the pool because they just enjoy fishing for their food. They left clean kitten food in dishes to fish dog biscuits out of the pool, and they just looked like they were enjoying themselves so much.

Last night at the height of the pool fueds, I was tempted to say, "Now children, if you can't share and play nice with your new toy, Nanny Scutler will have to take it away!"

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

very cool Cheryl.

I love the videos too... neat how you can hear the peanuts crunching.

Fraidy is just as cute as a button... no wonder you love her so much... such a darling.

the entire story of the pool incident is just magical..... and with the tussle, it's like "mom" had to step in and break up "the sisters" when they were squabbling (though it did seem more of a squabble)

would have been great to catch the entire episode on film!!

as i mentioned this morning.... SO GLAD Fraidy has found her backbone.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

>>I have broadband so sometimes I may forget and let the threads grow a bit long. If ever you start having trouble connecting don't hesitate to let me know that it's time to start a new one.

Cheryl -- when we are up at the trailer (RV park) we have WiFi up there, but are only supposed to get it at the Club House... with our close proximity to the Club House, we actually get a very weak signal at our unit.... if it's winter/spring before the trees are full, and not many people are on line (or at 5:30am when i get up) the signal is better.... sometimes as low as 1mbps !! and other times it just dies, so DH will go up the the club house.... BUT -- when i'm up there, i normally dont even view the images (i'll go so far as to turn it off in the browser sometimes) -- many are so huge that i time out...plus they use so much bandwidth -- i want to keep that to a minimum (since it's free, and we [the park] are charge if we go over on bandwidth)

so i save this time for "at home viewing" -- so needless to say.... todays posts are awesome.

Williamsburg, MI(Zone 4b)

We lived on Folly Beach, SC in the late 70's. I remember that there were more coons and cats than people then. We lived in a little beach cottage and one night while I was laying in bed a little hand reached in the partially open door and unhooked the safty chain. She then walked in and raided the catfood and cookies. For weeks I had been wondering what was happing to the cat food and cookies. She was pretty tame and we became great friends. We used to share boiled peanuts on the back step at night.

I went back there reciently, no cats, no coons, just condos and tourists. How sad. I sure miss the south. (especially in January!)

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Terese -- Actually, I was surprised (pleasantly surprised) to hear from you today. I knew you had said that you were going to the park and that you probably wouldn't be doing much "talking" from there due to BW issues. Very good to hear from you. I know that we will surely miss hearing from you while you are away. Good to know that you will be with us even if we don;'t "see" you.

Should I maybe reduce the size of the photos? My camera takes some hefty photos and I put them out there full size so people can see as much detail as possible (DG probably reduces them some). Honestly, I don't even know that it would make a difference to the broadband users (in what they see) if I did reduce them. Let me know your thoughts on this (everyone).

BTW, I just figured out why the Friday and Saturday photos were so bad. I had accidentally left the camera set to raw images. I've only recently learned that raw doesn't use or record any of the camera settings like VR, etc. That's probably also why I couldn't get the IR light to engage and light up the subject. Earlier today I mentioned that I was having trouble posting - getting timeout even with broadband. After several attempts to make a post containing a photo failed, I finally did a double take and saw that the photo which was actually a small piece cropped from another photo was over 20Megs. After I reduced it to something reasonable it loaded just fine.

It would have been great to get a video of the pool incident, but because they spent so much time avoiding the pool and even the yard, by the time the fun started it was too dark. As you can see from the videos of Fraidy, my camera doesn't compensate for darkness when in video mode.

The one point that I may not have gotten across fully is that the pool incident really lasted from the moment Fraidy 1st got into the pool until I left. During that entire time the energy and activity surrounding the pool was so voluminous and chaotic as to defy my ability to fully record and portray the events. For quite a while Heidi, Fraidy, Juliet, an unnamed female, and HRH were all bickering over and trying to get into the pool. I could have filmed the whole evening as there wasn't a break in the action anywhere.

Even after Heidi decided to allow Fraidy and Juliet to use her pool, she still would not let the unnamed female use it, and HRH was absolutely forbidden to look at it much less touch it. The unnamed female took the whole thing in stride. When Heidi left, she was eating at station 1. The moment Heidi dissappeared over the top of the fence, she immediately went over and got in the pool. After a strict reprimand from a few of the ladies, HRH kept his distance from the pool only venturing over for a dip after most of the "women" were gone.

As soon as things settle down enough and I can catch them in the pool in daylight, I'll get a video. (Remind me)

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

jylgaskin -- what a cute story! LOL at the raccoon opening the lock and you wondering where the goodies were going. To think that you had a raccoon running around the house having snacks while you slept is so funny. You guys sharing peanuts almost sounds like Fraidy and me.

Yes, it seems "progress" is inevitable. That "paved paradise to put up a parking lot" song really rings true doesn't it?

It is great here in January, temps in the 60s and 70s most of the time, occasional overnight lows in the 40s. I always say that winter here is the 1st 2 weeks of February. BUT I bet you don't miss the summers! July and August here are just plain wicked hot. Of course, on the beach at Folly the temps are maybe 10F lower which would be a sufficient reduction to keep you from bursting into flames.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

>>(Remind me)

LOL... just like "Cheryl, remember your camera"

>>Good to know that you will be with us even if we don;'t "see" you.

Thanks.... and since DH isn't working (medical reasons) he just leaves his laptop in wisc, so we are always "in touch" with our internet buddies.

>>Should I maybe reduce the size of the photos?
[i have noticed some of yours are quite large -- but the ones i checked today were decent size.]

I do this. to me, bandwidth is bandwidth. (every time your images are clicked on, it uses bandwidth to send it to each computer) I will compress them enough but try to keep them from losing clarity, and not getting too pixilated. [those lil boxes you see] I use Photoshop and the software has a "save for web" option... this will compress it, and i can preview it before it saves to see the compression. I'm sure most photo editing software has something similar -- especially since [like you said] cameras these days take HUGE images.

I do my best to get the image below 50kb, but around 100 is the image width is around 800.... but sometimes it's hard especially when you want to keep as much detail as possible.

OK -- i still have to unpack.

I spent a bit of time browsing your Webshots pics from last year.... TOO CUTE!!

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Ok, now for the confessions and revelations.

Ruth -- when you read this I know you are going to "fuss" at me...and I deserve it. ;-)

I haven't posted the events of Friday evening because in order to really understand what happened and why - without possibly blaming the innocent - you need to know about a couple of prior events which I had conceiled.

Here then, starting the confession of the conceiled events and following with the events of Friday evening, are the missing events (remember these go back in time, prior to the pool incident) :

A week or so ago I told you that when I had run out of treats for Fraidy and in response to her continued requests for more, I gave her a couple of starlight mints from my pocket. Here's what I didn't tell you:

Caught up in the magic of the moment and despite my earlier remarks about her "fangs", I, none the less, held the 2nd mint between thumb and forefinger and extended it to her. She walked up, sniffed it, and then touched it with her nose. That instant when I felt her nose make contact with the other side of the mint was positively exhilerating, and I cannot say why. I don't recall which of us pulled away 1st, but after that single moment of "impact" I tossed her the mint and she ate it.

A few days later when I was feeding jumbo peanuts to another particularly friendly raccoon who for now I will call Sugar for short, I was again struck by a moment of insanity during which I selected one of the longer peanuts, and held it out to her, whereupon she briefly touched her nose to it then reached up to gently grab it between her two front paws. While we grasp things with our fingers and thus the ends of our hands, it seems as though they grasp things with the portion of their paws which most closely equates to our palms. This unexpected "over reach" caused her claws, which are long and exposed like untrimmed dog claws, to brush my finger. It was not a scratch, just a touch, a contact so light and gentle as to be appropriate for handling an infant. The experience, none the less, reminded me of the importance of maintaining some distance. I did not repeat the experiment.

I withheld this information both because I knew it was something that I should not have done and because I felt concern about possibly encouraging any of you to do the same. It was risky. I'm imperfect. Both experiences were exhillerating to be sure, but they have also led to unexpected consequences. These 2 raccoons are now inclined to walk right up to me and try to put their noses in my bags, boxes, etc in search of treats. Until you have spent time around them, you can't really imagine the amazing stealth which comes natural to raccoons. Now I have to maintain a constant vigil over both shoulders lest I find Fraidy or Sugar literally climbing into my lap.

I withheld Friday's post because I needed to tell you about these events 1st.

----

Last night was a particularly busy and chaotic night. Heidi was 1st to show up at station 2, followed quickly by Juliet at station 1, and then Fraidy.

Heidi knows that I often bring her special treats. Unless she arrives so early that I am unable to setup Stations 2, Heidi will almost always eat at station 2 if it is available. That's the station which is located in the safest and most isolated spot. It's behind the compost pile and only some 5ft from the fence and the cover of the Heidi tree branch from which they often enter. Stations 1 and 2 are both some 15-20 ft from my bench; station 2 is to the right of a line perpendicular to my location. Still, unless she is frightened away prematurely or is in a particularly bad mood, when she has eaten a quantity of food from Station 2 she will almost always come over to check out the dish in front of me and to step around that dish to walk up to me and inquire if I have brought her anything of interest.

Juliet is particularly hungry right now as she nears the end of her first ever pregnancy. She eats everything at Station 1 and, if possible, finishes off the food at Station 2 when Heidi leaves it.Juliet often wanders about a bit in search of even more food but rarely comes over to me. Fraidy and some of the unnamed females like to walk up the "alley" that runs between the row of potted plants and the currently unused and weed infested veggie patch. That alley affords them a sense of enclosure and the resultant sense of protection as well as the potential refuge of the tall weeds in the adjacent veggie area. It also permits them access to me through a gap in the row of potted plants just to the left of my bench. Unfortunately, the entrance to the alley runs along beside Station 1. Lately, despite the fact that they never try to take Juliet's food, she has begun to block their access to the alley, defending the area around her feeding station with bared teeth and nails.

On Thursday evening (2 nights ago) Fraidy appeared atop the fence and was clearly scoping out the area. I called to her and could see her trying to figure out how to get past Heidi and Juliet. Even as Fraidy was coming down the fence, I could already see Juliet preparing to attack her. As I really wanted to feed Fraidy, I continued to call to her, hoping to encourage her to come despite the threat. Instead of taking the alley beside Juliet, Fraidy tried to reach me by working her way through the overgrown veggie patch well away from Juliet. None the less, Juliet left her food and ran 10 ft or more across the lawn and into the veggie patch to attack Fraidy. But this time, Fraidy showed incredible determination, for even as the larger Juliet ran her down and bit at her flanks, Fraidy continued on her intended path, running through the weeds only to reappear as she darted out of the veggie patch and through the gap in the pots to arrive beside my bench. For her bravery, I rewarded her with jumbo peanuts and grape jelly, 2 of her favorites. Last night Fraidy repeated the same manuever to once again circumvent Juliet as well as Heidi and end up in the relative safety of the area around my bench.

Juliet never tries to attack Heidi nor does she even defend herself when reprimanded by Heidi. Still she does not typicall permit Heidi to chase her away. Instead, when attacked she crouches low with her head to the ground in an apparent display of submission while holding her ground. This acknowledgement of Heidi's power usually suffices to end the argument.

Earlier in the day, yesterday, I had moved the little garden seat which the raccoons had repurposed as a water dish. For weeks it had been sitting to one side of the alley way behind the pots. After using it briefly, I was careful to return it as I realized its importance to them. While I put it back only some 1.5ft from its original position, the move left it on the oposite side of the row of pots, and resulted in a major upset for all concerned. It was like if I took the phone from your desk at work and returned it to a table in your coworker's office or cube or work space. Even if you both work in the same open area and the new location of your phone is only a few feet from its original one, the fact that its now in a zone that belongs to someone else will result in difficulties as you attempt to use it. Likewise, even thought the water was less than an "arm's length" away, the new location upset established and invisible boundaries. As such, it was interesting [but disturbing] to watch as raccoon after raccoon went to the alley way to search for the water, even passing the water filled garden seat on their way, then tried to find a way to get their head through the row of pots and into the water reservoir without leaving the alley, and then finally giving up altogether and trying to hoist themselves onto the birdbath instead. It would have been all too easy to access the water from the other side, but that would have involved walking through the edge of Heidi's territory. No one was quite that thirsty.

It happened near the end of the evening. Heidi had made her way over to her 2nd dish, the one in front of me. Fraidy had left, and her place beside me had been taken over by the same friendly raccoon who had taken the peanut from my hand days earlier. HRH had arrived, and his persistent search for, not just food as he had numerous dog biscuits, but better food was causing considerable animosity between him and Heidi. He eventually ended up off to himself eating those dog biscuits but not without first pushing the envelope quite a bit. After a few minor scirmishes failed to convince him to stay back, Heidi finally ran over and dispite the obvious difference in their sizes, bit him 1st on the shoulder and then on the hind quarter. He ran a stride or 2 before stopping to display a look that for all the world was a dead ringer for a pouty face and a demeanor that said, "I don't know why you want to hurt me. I was just standing over here minding my own business." (Right)

Although there was a dish of kitten food beside my bench, it was clear that Sugar was looking for something more. By now, "everybody" knows that I bring treats, and it seems that anyone who makes it up to the bench beside me is expecting something special. In March kitten food might have been that special treat, but now that's old hat; now that's what everyone's eating. Fraidy had already eaten the last of the peanuts, but I had a canister of the dog candies with me, vanilla flavor. Fraidy had shown surprisingly little interest in them dispite her known love of sweets. I tossed a few of them on the ground beside me, and Sugar began eating them with obvious fervor.

Soon I was having difficulty keeping Sugar supplied with candy. There were other raccoons around, and they also demanded some attention. All of this was occurring during the same time that Heidi and HRH were having their fued. I didn't think it wise to ignore them entirely, especially considering the often heated nature of their arguments and their relative proximity to my bench. A few times I stopped shoveling out candy long enough to toss some cat food or dog biscuits on the back lawn in hopes of attracting HRH to that area but with little success. During one of those quick breaks, Sugar ran out of candy. When I again turned toward her with a handful of candy which I planned to toss on the ground before her, Sugar reached up to try to take one, not to snatch it in an aggressive manner, mind you, but just to accept it, apparently thinking i was offering them in this manner.

After that incident, I tried even harder to keep the candy flowing fast enough, but it was not to be. I saw HRH trying an end run around Heidi in an attempt to come to my other side. In a last desperate attempt to deter him, I turned to toss the next handful of candy to HRH. It took only a matter of seconds. Candy canister in my left hand, my right hand free to dole out the candy, I quickly turned back to my left where Sugar was, hoping to get more candy on the ground before she ran out. Quite to my horror, I turned to my left to find Sugar all but quite literally trying to climb into my lap. she wasn't actually touching me as I'm sure that would have gotten my attention, but she was standing up with his head and front paws extended over my lap where she appeared to be reaching for the candy jar! I'm afraid I reacted only slightly better than you do in that 1st few seconds after finding some hideous insect on your arm or something like that.(This because we aren't supposed to touch, so when I turned back to find the raccoon's head and paws extended across my lap, even though I knew she wasn't trying to hurt me, I none the less, "freaked out" a bit.)

It was all over in a flash, but apparently I "shoo'd" her back a bit. For the duration of the evening, although she continued to eat beside me, she pouted a bit at having been thus rebuffed. she did not come up to me anymore.(...until Saturday night at least) A few minutes later, I suddenly remembered that the "candy" contained vitamins and the directions indicated that a dog should get up to 10/day. Oops! I had surely doled out 4 days worth. Of course, I stopped immediately.

Well, there you have it. Again, I've been unsure about disclosing these events. Some of you will likely think what I did was good, maybe sweet or romantic. Others will view it with concern. I have very mixed feelings about it at this time. I enjoyed it, for sure, but I also know I've gotten a bit too close to a precipice over which I don't want to fall. I fear I may have opened a door I can't easily close. I know from Friday's events that I now have to be extra vigilant around Fraidy and Sugar. (Well, actually both of them had already been trying to put their noses up close to me from the side and behind when I wasn't looking. They just seem to want to sniff me up close.)

This message was edited Jun 10, 2007 5:36 PM

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

As feeding time nears I am almost giddy over the thought of another evening around the pool. This morning I picked up some doughnuts so I'm thinking of "dunking" a few of them into the pool along with the apples and remaining grapes.

BTW, some of you may have been around last summer when someone posted telling us among other things that raccoons are filthy and will "soil" the yard, the water, and everything around them. It's been a year now, and I've yet to see any signs of "soiling" of anything in the garden. They never soil their water. Despite all of the pool activity the water in the pool was crystal clear this morning -- possibly cleaner than it might have been with an equal number of human swimmers. ;-)

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Several times I've mentioned a gap at the end of the alley behind the row of pots. The gap leads to my bench. Here is a photo of one of the raccoons sitting in that gap and eating a dog biscuit. (Terese, I reduced it by 70%). Just in front of the area depicted here is the area where Fraidy is seen in the videos eating peanuts.

Rosemont, ON(Zone 4a)

Cheryl, regarding the soiling thing, I have noticed that raccoons regularly leave poop on structures such as bridges and boardwalks on our property. Occasionally, I will find a deposit on the bird table or in a dish I sometimes put on the ground to contain corn for wild turkeys. I assume the poop is an ownership mark to warn other racoons away. I guess you are lucky that your bunch don't feel the need to assert ownership or you would be doing a lot of shoveling!

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

June - thanks for clearing that up. That's an interesting observation. I guess I have been lucky in a number of ways with Heidi. The property belongs to Heidi. I wonder if females mark their territory the same way. I was concerned after we were told about the soiling thing. The raccoons regularly wander around the back of the house at night searching for food. If I pick up non-food items and put them in a bucket for disposal, they will surely scatter them back across the patio, but they have never left any droppings on the patio or any of the outdoor furniture. Ironically, the only time I ever saw droppings in the 6 years I've been here was just once several years back when Sassy (my prior dog) and I were trying to chase them out of the garden. One left a pile of poop on the berm up near the fence. When Sassy saw it she left her own marking next to it. At the time I thought perhaps they were "dueling" over the territory.

Widget (my current dog) doesn't like the raccoons at all. I think he is jealous. Every morning he goes out there and smells every centimeter of ground where they walked, and samples the aroma from the food that had been there (and he's not too happy that they often get things that he wants but isn't allowed to have). Anyhow, every few feet of his walk, Widget stops to pee to let them know that it's his yard. When I let him out to defocate he always goes back there and finds a spot beside one of their dishes. Could it be that they accept that it is his property? Or that Heidi doesn't need to mark the area anymore since everybody walks gingerly in her presence already?

Valinda, CA(Zone 10a)

June, are you sure that it is the raccoons? If you have opossums then I would expect that from them.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

>>I reduced it by 70%

a 800x600 @ 67kb -- that's great... low bandwidth usage, and easier for dial-up users. ;-)

I fully understand you holding back events. I'm sure if I were in your position, i'd do the same [hand feeding], though it's not advised.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Terese -- The events in the post for Friday evening are the only events I have ever withheld. Lesser facts get omitted in editing or just because I may forget them. These particular events I withheld because I had mixed feeling about them. Even knowing that my actions were inadvisable, still at some point it became difficult to hold back the kids inside me.

I wasn't planning to withhold the info indefinitely just until (1) I got the courage to divulge the events and (2) I got some perspective as to my own feelings about what I had done. It has only been maybe a week, week and 1/2. As time went on it became increasingly difficult to relay current events without going back to fill in the missing data. Friday's events could not be told in the proper context without acknowledging the prior events.

I'm glad that so many people are enjoying this thread, but in addition to its entertainment value it's important to me to keep the reporting of events as accurate as possible. So much mystery seems to surround these animals. I hope that these threads may shed some light on their real behavior. If I tried to tell Friday's events without filling in the missing info from prior events, it might appear that raccoons could be expected to take the lead in such behavior, and I would not want to give that impression. Sugar's behavior on Friday was a direct result of my behavior on a previous night.

Perhaps this will serve as a cautionary tale to all of us about the unforseen consequences of seemingly innocent actions.

I'm glad that for now at least the pool has given us all (me and the raccoons) something different to focus on. Speaking of the pool, got to go as it is feeding time.

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

Thank you so much for the effort you expend to keep us up to date on the raccoons. I really enjoyed the pics and the videos. Fraidy is surely well on her way to becoming the next "media darling" Now all you have to do is to put one of those floating chairs in the pool and get her some sunglasses.........autographs anyone??

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

tetleytuna, LOL!!! What an adorable image! She would look pretty cool in shades wouldn't she? Oh, and we must add a drink with a parasol and tall bent straw. (Thank you.)

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

yes -- and that straw going into a cup of jelly. ROFL

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Terese -- LOL!! Clearly one of her favorites!

The other day I started on a line drawing of the dumpster scene. I need to capture that pool scene, too. I'll post them when I finish.

Hmm. If Ms Fraidy is going to be a media sensation, maybe she needs her own thread. LOL, just kidding.

Valinda, CA(Zone 10a)

Be careful when they are around you. Do not allow yourself to be startled and jerk. Much like jerking back from a cat will ensure that you get scratched. Prepare yourself so that if you unexpectedly feel one touch you are even climb onto your lap you can move slowly. They are so confident of you and also so sure that you have hidden goodies that they may well be tempted to investigate.

Slow, gentle movements will allow all of you to enjoy each other. There was a time when you wre contemplating reaching out and touching. Well, now they trust you enough that they are beginning to contemplate reaching out.

I doubt very much that you need to worry about rabies with this group and if somehow it were introduced you know their behavior so well that you would immediately recognize that something was drastically wrong.

I am so happy that this closeness and understanding is developing.

Rosemont, ON(Zone 4a)

Re. the poop question from George - I am pretty sure it is raccoons, not opossums. We live at the extreme northern edge of the opossums' range and there aren't many of them in this area. That said, we did see one (with a badly frostbitten tail) this spring. However, I believe opossums mark their territory by rubbing scent onto trees and other objects. The National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Mammals notes that raccoon scat "resembles that of Virginia opossum and skunks, but is often deposited on logs, large tree limbs, or stones crossing a stream." We also often see raccoons in the places where we find the poop, although we have yet to catch one in the act!

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

I have been incredibly lucky either way, because Snowball, the white opossum also frequents my yard. Thankfully, other than the single incident I mentioned from years ago and well before Heidi and I became "friends", none of the animals have left any "presents" in my yard. (so far) : )

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

George, Thank You

I had a feeling you would be happy to hear this. When I saw Sugar's arms and head extended across my lap, it did startle me. I wasn't afraid that she meant to harm me, just that I knew we were supposed to keep our distance, and I was frightened to suddenly realize how close she was to just climbing all over me.

Although on the inside I totally freaked out, on the outside I just motioned with my hand for her to move back, and she did - without touching me or harming me in any way. She kept back a bit for the rest of the night, and by that I mean 1ft instead of in my lap. It's not like I frightened her; she didn't run away. I think she was probably a little confused when I reacted the way that I did; but it was only temporary as next day she came right back up to me to see if I had any treats.

Fraidy likes to come up to the back corner of my bench and extend her nose up close to sniff me. She likes to do that when I'm not looking. If I turn and look at her she will look up and me and then pull her head back away from me. She likes to investigate me in secret.

That one evening when reached up for the peanut and touched my finger with her paw, she didn't scratch me. Although I felt her passive nails touch my finger, I can't begin to convey the incredible gentleness of the touch. Sometimes when I'm handling my little 4.5lb dog, I can feel his nails. While he doesn't scratch me or break the skin, sometimes his nails "hurt" me. He is no where near as gentle as Sugar. Even though I didn't think she would hurt me, I was surprised at the softness of her touch. I'm surprised that an animal could be that gentle, let alone a wild animal.

In an earlier thread I mentioned that it was my childhood dream to make friends with the wild animals, and that as I grew up I learned that I could not do so - and yet now I have. It's incredibly magical for me, a childhood dream come true. This is surely the closest that I have ever been to a wild animal, and at time it still seems like a dream.

As for the threat of rabies, I like to believe that "my" group is somehow immune to that threat, but I think it is important for me to remember that reports from the SC Wildlife Department indicate that the incidence of rabies in SC is quite high, higher than the numbers reported for WV, and that per last year's stats Charleston county has one of the 2 highest rates in the state. Those numbers suggest that while I want to believe that it is safe, I need to remember that it really isn't. With such a high incidence of the disease in the area, it is always possible that Heidi or one of the others could be scratched or bitten by an infected animal.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

It sometimes seems amazing that even after all this time there is always something new to learn from and about the raccoons. What I learned last night may astound you for I am beginning to suspect that our sweet, adorable, harmless, little Fraidy is taunting the others. I know, I know, it just doesn't seem possible, not sweet, little Fraidy. I had actually observed what appeared to be mischievous behavior on her part before, but had discarded the information like anomalous points that didn't fit the graph - thinking it a misinterpretation. But wait until you hear what happened last night.

I went out expecting to enjoy another pool party. I found Fraidy hanging upside down from the sheperd's hook where she was assaulting the bird feeder. I had noticed for a few weeks that one of the raccoons was making daylight raids on the feeder and had assumed it was either Juliet (due to her pregnancy) or HRH (since he never gets to eat a lot) or Fraidy (to supplement for what she doesn't get when the others chase her off). Now I knew it was the latter. This explained a lot. Many times I had noticed with concern that Fraidy wasn't eating a lot. She was picky. She ate sweets and peanuts but not much else. Concerned for her survival I'd tried all the harder to get food into her. The joke was on me. She wasn't eating because she was stuffed with sunflower seeds.

My dog ran out with me. He chased Fraidy across the yard. After I had put him away, I put the remaining apples, 8 at least, into the pool along with the remaining grapes and a handful or two of dog candy. I setup the various feeding stations with kitten food, including the 3 newly added ones.

Expecting Fraidy to come back from the forest where I assumed she'd gone when chased, I sat down to wait. Within minutes Fraidy did appear, but not from the forest. She came from the veggie patch which is now covered with a dense growth of tall weeds. (Lately, she has been hiding out there when threatened, and I began to wonder if she might even be living there in the veggie patch with the willow at one end.) Seeing her there alone, I thought how wonderful this was. She could eat her fill and play in the pool with wanton abandon, none of those big, bad raccoons around to bother her.

She came over to speak to me - and see if I had any peanuts. She stopped by each of 2 different stations to take a bite or two. She hopped in the pool for a few minutes where she bobbed for apples, taking a bite out of each of 3 different apples then fished for and ate the handful of grapes whereupon she promplty hopped out of the pool and returned to the forest. I watched somewhat forlornly as she climbed back up into the trees and disappeared. She walked away slowly. It was clear that she was not afraid. From her behavior and her response to the food before her it was pretty obvious that she had already eaten her fill of sunflower seeds and was not hungry.

I considered calling it a night, but decided to wait a while for Heidi. Surely she would be in the mood for a "swim". Juliet was next to arrive. She walked right past the pool like it wasn't even there and took her usual position at station 1. Then Heidi arrived to eat at Station 2, followed by Sugar and the remaining nameless raccoon (I'm working on it). Much to my complete astonishment, the pool which had been the source of such fueding the previous night sat empty and ignored. I had expected that as with humans and our toys, the "new" would soon wear off of the pool, but I never imagined it would happen so soon, not after the incredible reception it had recevied just 1 night before.

After a time Heidi wandered over for a brief dip in the pool and a drink. When Juliet, who in the latter weeks of her pregnancy has been trying to pull a "Heidi", saw Sugar coming down the fence, she charged Sugar vicously. They had a brief tussle over by the fence post before Juliet returned to her station apparently expecting Sugar to go back to the forest. Minutes later Juliet ran across the lawn to launch a second attack on Sugar who was making her way through the edge of the veggie patch. Another brawl ensued. They rolled and tumbled for a minute or two, but the raccoon that emerged from the argument behind the shrubs to eat at Juliet's dish was not Juliet at all. It was Sugar. I did a double take, and smiled to myself. Juliet was not yet up to Heidi's level when it came to fending off the others; moreover, had she not left her dish to go over there and attack Sugar in the 1st place, she would still be eating. By that time the only available dishes were over near me. Juliet doesn't usually venture over to my area. She tried to take her dish back. When that failed, she spent some time in the pool chasing apples before she finally gave up and left.

At some point while all of this was going on, the little youpon holly branch on the fence just over the pool area began to jiggle in a most familiar way. I knew jiggle. That was Fraidy's signature jiggle. I knew that her little head would be popping out from under those leaves any moment. It shouldn't be her. She had no reason to return, but I knew that when the culprit was seen, it would be Fraidy.

An instant later, just as I had known and still could not believe, Fraidy's adorable but somehow mischievous looking little face emerged from the greenery atop the fence. Moments later she was on the ground running around reeking havoc all over the feeding area. Fraidy went up to the pool and got into a tussle with Juliet; this dispite the fact that only 30min earlier Fraidy had walked away from the empty pool!

Fraidy got out of the pool and walked around with her usual demure and innocent demeanor. She came over again to see what I might have for her. 2 of the others chased her. She ran around the area and got back into the pool where she proceeded to take a bite out of each of the remaining apples. As I watched this display knowing that Fraidy was not hungry, that she had passed up 5 dishes of kitten food, and had walked away from the pool only a little earlier, I suddenly saw everything through new lenses.

I still believe that the others started out picking on her, and that in the beginning she was afraid, but somewhere along the way she seems to have realized that she can out run and out maneuver them, perhaps because of her size. Now she actually seems to be taunting them...playing with them...almost smiling ear to ear like the Cheshire cat from Alice in Wonderland...

...that little devil...

Edited to correct a spelling error. Hey, I got all of the letters right. Do they really have to be in the right order, too?

This message was edited Jun 12, 2007 7:46 AM

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

OH Cheryl.... what a sight that must have been... Poor lil Fraidy... now seen in a new light.

well yanno -- good for her!!

too funny how she had to take a bite out off all the apples.... I see my kids do that. It's hilarious... just so the other wont eat it... well, actually it's my youngest (he's 16) is most likely the culprit. [just today i saw him take a bite out of a chicken finger and put the dish back in the frig... he later finished it, but he made sure his brother couldnt get it] what a trip.

>>somehow mischevious looking little face emerged from the greenery atop the fence
i can almost see her... poking her adorable face thru the leaves... too precious.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Terese -- Oh, for sure no one can say the others didn't bring it on themselves...and it's not like they can't take care of themselves. It's only been in the last few weeks that I've noticed what from time to time seemed like mischievous behavior from Fraidy. Any time that little holly branch jiggles, Fraidy's face will appear amidst the leaves shortly. That's when she looks rather impish, playful. Then when she crawls out of the bush onto the top of the fence and looks down at the others, lately she seems playful and even a bit naughty.

The others eat and leave. They only come back if they were frightened off before they finished eating. It was quite a surprise to see Fraidy come back when she was clearly not hungry. If she does live in the area overhead she may have come back to see if the others were getting something that she wanted, but even if I'm wrong about why she returned, the meer fact that she came back when she didn't need to indicates that she is no longer particularly afraid of the others.

Your son sounds like an excellent problem solver. ;-)

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Tonight I put out the usual stuff along with the rest of the large container of plain yogurt into which I stirred the last 1/4 jar of grape jelly and a few tablespoons of hummingbird nectar mix. We were under a severe tstorm watch, and the rain began to fall just as I got out there. I put the container of sweetened yogurt under the chair along with 2 bowls of kitten food. I didn't stay.

Hendersonville, NC(Zone 7a)

I've been without internet access since Friday night, thanks to a cable company who richly deserves every rude adjective I've been using in reference to them. Grrr... Was so happy to get back online tonight, and catch up on all the missed news on this thread; I've missed it!

The photos and videos and stories are fabulous as always, Cheryl. And don't worry; there will be more pool parties, though perhaps none quite as frenzied as that first one. And you're right, the coons will be happy to eat anything out of the water, even if it's waterlogged. It just seems to appeal to their instincts and feel right to them somehow.

I have only one thing to say about the hand-feeding, aside from the fact that I do understand how hard it is to resist the urge to try it. Please find/make the time to get your pre-exposure rabies vaccinations; if you are going to make actual contact with the kids, however gentle, it is simply essential to do so. I have no doubt that your guys are healthy; but you do live in an area of high rabies incidence in coons. If the worst should happen and one of your guys became infected, the symptoms take some time to develop; and contact with them during that period could literally be deadly. This is not a disease to mess with: it is very very preventable with vaccination, but completely untreatable once it takes hold. I'm not trying to be an alarmist, just a realist: there are very good reasons why rehabbers and wildlife workers are required to be vaccinated before handling high-risk species like raccoons. If you can't find the motivation for yourself, think of Widget and the raccoons, all of whom need and depend on you. I'll get off the soapbox now...

Really had to laugh at the description of HRH's "innocent" act after Heidi had enough of his antics and attacked him. I wouldn't be surprised if he sneaks down to use the pool after everyone else leaves for the night; he has no other mouths to feed, and probably would enjoy a middle-of-the-night dip...

It sounds like Trouble has moved off to find a territory he can claim for his own; you haven't mentioned him for quite a while. This is inevitable, since he certainly wouldn't yet be up to taking on HRH; but we surely will all miss the guy.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.