Japanese Maples: I am really upset. Help!, 1 by jhayes5032

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright jhayes5032

In reply to: I am really upset. Help!

Forum: Japanese Maples

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of I am really upset.  Help!
jhayes5032 wrote:
Thanks for everyone’s replies. I have way more enthusiasm for JM’s than I do knowledge or experience. This freeze was a first and was quite scary. One week later I am upbeat and hopefully won’t lose any trees. I wanted to pass along a lesson I learned in case it might help someone in the future: if you cover your trees up at night, remove the cover in the morning after the temp has risen above freezing, even if you expect another freeze the next night. I made the mistake of leaving them covered for two days in black trash bags, given that the weather was windy with highs in the 40’s between freeze nights. The day after the 2nd night by the time I got home from work it was sunny and in the upper 50’s. When I lifted the bags, the entire foliage was wilted, wet, hot and smelled rotten. Fortunately I was only able to do this with my smallest trees, which have sustained much more damage than my uncovered trees. We will see if any die. Maybe everyone else has sense enough not to do this, but I had to learn the hard way. Enclosed are pictures of my once-lovely “filigree” and even more devastated “kiyo hime”