Trees, Shrubs and Conifers: Butterfly Bush Cultivars, 1 by Decumbent

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Decumbent

In reply to: Butterfly Bush Cultivars

Forum: Trees, Shrubs and Conifers

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Butterfly Bush Cultivars
Decumbent wrote:
Great advice as usual folks. I managed to unearth a Wayside catalog somewhere and got a good look at some of the "Butterfly Series" cultivars, and B. lindleyeanam, B. fallowiana, B. nanhoensis, and B. weyeriana. They all look like fine plants. That newer B. davidii, "White Ball", looks good too.

Equil, These are all going to my sister-in-laws house. She has a SW corner where the soil is just builders rubble really. Really bad, harsh site. My barberries are all here at my house. They are all non B. thunbergii types. Mostly they are evergreens such as B. x "Amsterveen", B. x "Wallich's purple", B. lempergiana, B. julianne, B. wilsonae. I'm not a big fan of Tamarix for some reason. I know that a lot of people are. Could go back to when I was working at a nursery and a bar-fly type of customber was trying to remember the plant she was looking for. She kept saying, "It's Spandex. I mean, I think it sound like Spandex. You know, Spandex." Finally, I'm like, "Tamarix?" "That's it!" Somehow, I can't get that out of my mind, maybe it that memory has ruined Tamarix for me forever.

Here is a shot of B. x interposita "Wallich's Purple" showing the combination of remaining green leaves and the turning and losing of older leaves.

Scott