Photo by Melody

Japanese Maples: How to transplant JM's from container to bed?, 1 by fleursdefouquet

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright fleursdefouquet

In reply to: How to transplant JM's from container to bed?

Forum: Japanese Maples

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of How to transplant JM's from container to bed?
fleursdefouquet wrote:
Imapigeon, that's just what I'm thinking. If I decide now, I may not like it later. The space will 'speak to me' when it's completed.

Another good day today. Finished the digging - but do need to check leveling. It's pretty deep at the deepest point. Will measure next time I work on it - hopefully, Wednesday. Am still transplanting out of this bed. I stuck all kinds of things in there last year. My two peonies planted last year are poking their heads out - I need to find a permanent home for them. Also worked on the bed adjacent to this one - it faces south and gets the afternoon sun. It had jasmine the past two years but was too hard to maintain. The jasmine was cut down this past fall and the bed was turned today in preparation for a perennials bed. I think a climbing rose on the wall and sun loving perennials overflowing in the bed. East to care for flowers such as day lilies, coneflowers, early blooming bulbs, etc. Lots of color as many months as possible. We have butterflies and hummers in the courtyard.

Would the peonies work in the new perennial bed? It is shaded until about noon, then gets the hot afternoon sun until sunset. It drains well, but is very hot with the heat radiating off the brick wall and concrete patio. Haven't considered moving them to that bed before because it wasn't available.

Here's the bed that is being made into a perennial bed.

Debra