Photo by Melody
Announcements
The ability to post new threads and comments is currently off-line. We are working to restore this feature.

Japanese Maples: How to transplant JM's from container to bed?, 1 by fleursdefouquet

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright fleursdefouquet

In reply to: How to transplant JM's from container to bed?

Forum: Japanese Maples

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of How to transplant JM's from container to bed?
fleursdefouquet wrote:
Doss, so glad you mentioned 'THE WALL'. I had considered ivy but it is so invasive and it will be difficult to get back there to trim often. There is wisteria growing on the fence railing above the brick wall now (not seen in the photo #2 at top of thread). The wisteria is planted at the corner base of the wall just outside the gate and is being trained to grow along the fence in both directions - over the bed being redesigned, and also over the long bed running at a right angle to it (toward the shop seen in the background of photo #2). There is a second wisteria planted in the center of the long bed and being trained to grow in both directions also. I did that to provide some shade to the azaleas and hostas below.

So....after all that.....there is still the issue of a big blank brick wall behind the tree and pond. I have several clematis (about 8) including a couple that grow up each of the wisteria vines, but not on the wall itself. The climbing hydrangea idea sounds interesting. The wall faces east and gets shaded in late afternoon. I'd love to have something evergreen with berries for birds. Pyracanthea, maybe? Or, since the wisteria will be primarily horizonal, maybe I should think more vertically. This gets complicated doesn't it?

This photo is of the long wall between the house and shop looking in the opposite direction from photo #2. The area being redesigned is hidden behind the wall off to the right inside the courtyard. The window is the dining room that looks out onto this bed. Both wisteria vines can be seen in this photo.

Debra