Photo by Melody

Trees, Shrubs and Conifers: Suggestions for native shrubs for urban/suburban gardens, 1 by Decumbent

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Decumbent

In reply to: Suggestions for native shrubs for urban/suburban gardens

Forum: Trees, Shrubs and Conifers

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Suggestions for native shrubs for urban/suburban gardens
Decumbent wrote:
I have found the Diervillas a disappointment. I have grown both species from seed and revelled one fall in the saturated red fall color of D. sessilifolia, but mature plantings of both this species and D. lonicera I have seen at Dawes Arboretum were flat out ghastly. One of the ugliest masses of vegetation I have ever seen. Perhaps, the tidying of a loving, caring gardener is all that's needed, but I'm not so sure.

Euonymus atropurpureus is a wonderful small tree, and delightful when the fruit colors up in the fall. It is quite susceptible to scale, however, and usually requires treatment to remain healthy. The flowers, though small, are cute in an oddball sort of way. Image.

I have Amelanchier stolonifera. It is a cute little thing, but usually defoliates early...like August. I don't think it cares for our heat and humidity. It might perform better in cooler, drier air.

I think the key to Arctostaphylos is immediate drainage and acid soil.

I think you should plant V. rafinesquianum just because it is so much fun to say.

Ernie, great points on cultivar status! Well stated too.

Gloria, hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you'll probably learn to hate deer, and they will eat your roses.

Scott