Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Trees, Shrubs and Conifers: Clematis for Shrubs, 1 by david5311

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright david5311

In reply to: Clematis for Shrubs

Forum: Trees, Shrubs and Conifers

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Clematis for Shrubs
david5311 wrote:
Yes indeed, clematis can be planted with shrubs that are coppiced every year or every other year. In fact, that is one of the best shrub pairings with clems I think. The biggest problem in doing this at all is that the shrub may shade out the clem and provide too much root competition. But if the shrub is cut back every year or two, the clematis will have a good chance to get started growing in the spring before the shrub gets large again. It would be essential to only use group 3 clematis (those which bloom exclusively on new growth) with a cut back shrub, since the clematis will be cut back too. Then both will grow up simultaneously and you won't be cutting back blooming wood on the clematis. When I grew Mme. Jules Correvon on the golden mockorange, I cut both back every couple years to about 2' tall. They both grew up simultaneously and the clematis found its own way up through the shrub to its sunny side with virtually no training or other help from me.

One other point which does work I think -- the traditional wisdom is that you plant the clematis on the north or east side of the shrub so that it will grow through the shrub toward the light on the south and west side. The roots of the clematis will be cooler and more shaded this way. As a general rule I think that does help. However the specifics of the planting situation are more important. I would plant the clematis on the south or west side if the soil and water and availability of 'root space' is better. The other thing which may help is pruning back the shrub above where the clematis is planted, especially if the shrub is established and mature, in order to give the clematis a chance to get going.

I did find my picture of Clemtais 'Prince Charles' growing up through Viburnum p.t. 'Summer Snowflake'