Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Trees, Shrubs and Conifers: Clematis for Shrubs, 1 by david5311

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright david5311

In reply to: Clematis for Shrubs

Forum: Trees, Shrubs and Conifers

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Clematis for Shrubs
david5311 wrote:
Yes, Kevin, this is a favorite garden composition of mine. The best combo I had was of Clematis 'Prince Charles' growing through Viburnum ' Summer Snowflake' or 'Watanabe'. That combination bloomed more or less on and off all through the growing season with a peak in late June and early July. I will try to post a photo of that combo. I also really liked Clematis 'Mme Jules Correvon' (dark cerise red) growing through a golden mockorange (Philadelphus coronarius 'Aureus'), but it would work equally well with any chartreuse or gold variegated shrub.

There are several keys to success I think. This works best if the clematis is a large (2-5 gallon size) plant when planted, and if it is planted at the same time as a 3-7 gallon viburnum or other host shrub (elders and philadelphus also are excellents hosts). It also works best with group 3 clematis, those that you prune to the ground in winter or spring. Those are going to be the best pairs with Viburnums and most other shrubs anyway. The shrubs will bloom in spring and early summer and the clematis will bloom after that. The other advantage of group 3 clems is that the clematis will not detract from the spring blooming shrub when in full bloom. Group 3 clematis are the easiest to grow and most successful in zone 5 climates. They are summer and fall blooming. Though simultaneous bloom is great, the best advantage is from using the shrubs as scaffolding for the later blooming clems -- neither will detract from the other, and you will get a much longer season of interest from the shrub by getting midsummer clematis bloom. And if you do it right, I think you could pair clem flowers with late season viburnum fruits. I have not yet managed to pull that oiff but I have some ideas.

The other important ting is that the mature size of the clematis be matched to the shrub -- otherwise you run the chance that one plant will swamp the other.
On the list you have, you should know that Betty Corning and Huldine can get to be 15 feet plus tall, and would need a large vigorous shrub or small tree for a good pairing. Venosa Violacea is also pretty vigorous. The others are good for pairing with a 6-8 foot shrub. I will tru too see what pics I can come up with from my old garden which might be of interest.

One last suggestion - water, water, water, and fertilize. The key to getting clematis (and most woodies too I think) established is watering, and some fertilization. Clematis LOVE water just as most woody plants do in the establishment period. And fertilizer helps both but especially the clems which are heavy feeders.

Well, here's one picture I found, C. Perle D'Azur growing on Sambucus Sutherland Gold.