Trees, Shrubs and Conifers: Diane Witch Hazel, 1 by Decumbent

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Decumbent

In reply to: Diane Witch Hazel

Forum: Trees, Shrubs and Conifers

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Diane Witch Hazel
Decumbent wrote:
Okay, VV is noticably absent, so David5311 took his role! Couldn't ask for a better substitute. David is incredibly knowledgeable. And I could not agree more that the red witchhazels do not pop in the landscape like the yellow and orange cultivars do.

I don't grow "Diane" myself, but when I've seen it, it does have a stiff upright form that seems to have no inclination to eventually widen out. 10-15' spread is the widest I've seen. I would guess 20' would be about the max. "Jelena," my favorite x intermedia, is vase-like to 4-5', and then it starts growing laterally. Very cool. PG, you don't need to wait until winter, I can post a "Jelena" flower photo now.

David, you've whetted my appetite now to try some H. mollis cultivars now. I wish I had the room! I have heard both that "Pallida" acts more like x intermedia and that it is pure H. mollis. I trust your input more than the other sources of information. I will tell you this, if it disappoints me in the fragrance department, out it goes, and I will seek out a true H. mollis. I do not know why one would grow a witchhazel that isn't fragrant!

Scott