Communities > Forums

Image Copyright GeorgiaJo

In reply to: tadpoles in grandson's swimming pool

Forum: Wildlife

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of tadpoles in grandson's swimming pool
GeorgiaJo wrote:
Update ---(pix to follow)
It is now approx 2 weeks since I first saw the tads. I moved some anacharia, fairy moss, water celery and algae into their little pool and they took to it all right away. So, no need for spinach or lettuce or anything. Then, when they were about a week old, I started giving them some goldfish food (small high-quality pellets from my local pond-supply store - not quite 1/4 inch). They loved it, sometimes two or three would push one pellet around and around (look like little tugboats). Also around that time, I moved some to the upper, unpopulated part of my little goldfish pond. I saw at least one go over the falls (whether into a goldfish mouth or the nearby cover, I don't yet know), but some of them did just great. Grew twice as fast as the pool-tads, thanks to lots of yummy algae. The other tads I left alone in the kiddie pool, but I did put a battery operated airstone in with them since I happened to have one on hand.
Then I got busy with work and stuff. Eventually, a few days ago, (not quite 2 weeks since the beginning), I decided to move some more to the fishpond, but wanted to test the water first to be safe. As usual, my pond water is perfect (sorry... sometimes ya just gotta brag!). 0 nitrite, 0 ammonia, ph of 7 or so.. Then, since I had the chemicals out, I tested the tadpole-pool water.. Not too bad, but a slight amt of ammonia. So it was time for some improvements.
Now I have two fairly wide but shallow totes on our back deck where they spawned. We can watch them from the kitchen table and I see them as I type. Nice fresh well water (really deep, really good) and a pail or so of pond water (with all those great bacteria). I also have a smaller mini-environment for some on our screened side porch where I can see them without stooping They are 4 times the size they were. I'll post some pix to prove it. Most are at least an inch (including tail).. and I see from my earlier posts that they were only 1/4 inch at first.
I think these are toads of some kind (how wonderful!). But we fostered a pondful of American Toads once, and those seemed darker. These are lighter in color... and have speckles and stuff. I'l going to post some closeups on some amphibian sites and see if I can get a better ID, But here's what I'm talking about! This closeup was from about a week ago (roughly 7-10 days since first sighting).